1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cowpoke Electronics Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dao, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Dao

Dao

Jun 2, 2014
    Tallahassee
    Hi all,

Been out of music for quite awhile and have the itch again.

I found a Fender "Cowpoke" locally for $200 and picked it up last weekend. I recall having one in the mid-90's and enjoyed playing it and this one has a nice little vibe and just begs to be played. It cleaned up very well and I'm seriously liking it!

I noticed right away that of the two control pots, the shaft is bent on one of them. No biggie, I've soldered in plenty of pots, pickups and such in the past. Upon inspection, it seems that a previous owner did a messy job of replacing pots, pickups, wiring and all, leaving only the p-bass pickup functional. What was confusing, is that there are currently only two controls. One is a volume, and the other seems to be a tone control. If I remember correctly, these basses had a stacked pot configuration with volume, tone and blend or some such?

My intention is to replace everything- pickups, pots, wiring, and output jack. The thing I can't nail down is the control situation. A good bit of my experience was with Jazz basses with either a volume/volume/tone layout, or a stacked pot volume/tone volume/tone arrangement. With space for only two pots (I don't really want to drill a hole for a third pot), what might be a good layout for a p/j configuration? I don't think that the v/t v/t option is best for p/j? It seems the more I read the less sure I am about what to do.

Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    cool bass, and +1 to gutting all the electronics and replacing;

P volume, stacked J volume/master tone is logical enough.

if you don't blend varying levels of the two pickups and don't play the J by itself, you could do V+T with one knob a push pull to switch the J pickup off.

3. Dao

Dao

Jun 2, 2014
    Tallahassee
    Thank you Walter. I'm a set and forget kind of guy so v+t might make the most sense for me.

4. T1N_MAN

T1N_MAN

Aug 16, 2010
    If you do end up replacing your electronics I would be very interested in purchasing them. I just purchased a Cowpoke which had been previously stripped of its electronics and I want to get it back to original. Let me know.

- Joe