Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CPU cooler marketing... [for geeks]

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ob1, Feb 7, 2003.

1. If you're not a geek, or overclocker/gamer, click back now... :)

I just got my new cooler, the CoolerMaster X-Dream, and I started testing it, playing with fan speeds and so forth, and investigated the "aerodynamically designed fan grille" as they call it, and thought I heard a "swooshing" that shouldn't be there...I removed the aforementioned grille and replaced it with a standard chrome grille, and lo and behold, the noise was gone! :D And they've built half of the marketing campaign on the grille, :rolleyes: wich just made things worse! I emailed them about it, and I'm dying to see what they'll say (and it's not just my HSF that did this, I called a friend and told him to do the same, and it worked there too...) .

Oh yeah, it is by the way a very good cooler, 35C idle, 39 full load (Athlon 1133)! :)

2. That's all fine and good... but can it liquify a bass?

3. Originally posted by Amadeus

Have you tried any of the water cooled systems yet? We have a store here called CompUSA (CrapUSA as I call it) that's selling cases already set up with the radiator and water tubes to cool your system. Very quiet with one small pump instead of fans everywhere. Kind of neat, but expensive.

I am looking into water cooling myself and the price/performance ratio is pretty good actually.

What I worry about is water cooling being sold to the masses who don't save their documents as they work, let alone clean and bleed their cooling system.

4. JizzDogg

JizzDogg

Nov 4, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Currently in my 70F house my CPU temp is 87F or 21C/30C. Using Koolance watercooling with a GeForce4 cooler and a CPU Cooler. Adding more components to be cooled by the water cooling system increases the temp of the CPU so i limit it to the hottest two parts.

MSI KT4 Ultra
    AMD XP 2200+ (it can get to 2400+ plus but i want it to last longer than my previous CPU's i.e my 1600+ to 1800+ lasted 1.25 years)
    512MB DDR 2100 (to poor to get the 400MHz stuff)
    GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB (needs heatsinks on ram to be overclocked)

5. JizzDogg

JizzDogg

Nov 4, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I try to bleed mine once i feel i'm not getting optimal performance anymore. I also clean the radiator with compressed air, I've found that it takes care of 90% of performance issues.

6. You can only go so cold. As soon as water condenses your screwed =\ and that depends completely on your location. Try an alcohol based cooling system instead with an exterior radiator. Your main goal is to get as much heat off the CUP and GPU as you can, and as fast as possible!