Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Craaaaaazy idea, try it!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tenbellies, Feb 24, 2004.

1. tenbellies

tenbellies

Dec 17, 2003
    I had the idea to put a light attached to the head stock shinning over the nut and lighting up to fret board. I have done it with a torch, and I tell you, it looked cool. Any idea how I could do this properly without
    a) perminantly damaging my bass
    b) taping a torch to my bass
    c) plugging myself into the mains.

If you don't believe me, try it. It would look so sweet on stage. The women would throw themselves at me!

Matt

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    tenbellies - I'm thinking that Eric was confused by "torch"

Eric - I think that torch = flashlight.

tenbellies - I don't know if it's true that "The women would throw themselves at me! (you)"

Here's an idea - if you are playing a Fender type bass with a string tree, maybe you could design a custom string tree / fingerboard "torch" that would mount to the original string tree hole to avoid any new holes in the headstock. :meh:

3. Get some white leds, they only use 1.5v and they give a poop-load of light.

4. there are some companies that have that as an option, a fingerboard light non?

5. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    Suh-weet. Coming from the body is much better than the headstock. More room for batteries, mounting, etc. I swear the lightbeamz looks just like one of those squeezy flashlight/keychains you see in a checkout line. And I know the local dollar store (tenbellies - think 0.53 pound store) has LASER pointer keychains. For a dollar. I think it would be very easy to carefully take one apart and come up with a better switch and way to mount it.

I was thinking earlier, I wonder if you could accurately mount a device to shine LASER lines on a fretless, so you would have fretline markers you could turn off.

6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Tape a flash light on the head stock

7. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    these already exist. you can buy a red light version from allparts or somewhere. they would look a little nicer than a flash light taped to the head IMO

8. tenbellies

tenbellies

Dec 17, 2003
    I bought a 94p 'flashlight', used the reflective cone and bulb. Mounted them in some polystyreen and floated this above the strings at the headstock with some velcro above and belox the srtings. A wire comes out of this and around to the back where there is a batterypack held in by elastic bands looped around the tuners. Looks cool and a lot cheeper.

I will post pics if you want.

Matt