1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crack in ebony fret board?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cutty, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Noticed a crack on my Moon 5 string bass,one single crack going from just above the truss rod to around 4 frets,it's not open,in fact you have to look closely to see it,how can i repair it?i think it's been like this for some time,but i know it's there and it niggles me,thanks.

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Niggles?

It's Ebony. You can use a bit of super glue and sand in with dust or you can let it be.

3. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Yes niggles,an english word meaning "it bothers or irritates me"thanks for the advice.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    It could be acclimating to your environment or dried improperly. Keep an eye on it.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Curious. I have a wenge FB that's doing the same thing from the butt end to the 19th fret. I have a piece of sacrificial wenge and Dremel with a sanding drum so dust won't be a problem. What's the proper procedure? Note: the bass was pretty much given to me so I really don't want to drag it to the local shop.

Riis

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Wenge has two colors (colours ;)). The process for blending a crack in that is better done by experience.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Experience = $$. I'm looking at the situation more in terms of functionality post repair so I can live with a color inconsistency. Honestly, I doubt if I could squeeze the tip of an exacto blade into the fissure. Also, the 17th-24th fret region is "no-man's land" for me.

Riis