1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crack in my Q5 Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by singer202, Oct 13, 2009.

1. singer202

singer202

Dec 3, 2008
    Hi,

I just bought a Spector Q5 pro yesterday for $275 and it has a good size crack in the finish just below the tone knobs. (yes, its only the finish.) Its a orange-red quilt top with a glossy finish. Does anyone know what kind of clear was used on these basses? Also, is there anyway to repair a crack in the finish like that, or just seal it and not worry about it?? (sorry, no pics)

By the way, I love the bass. Significant upgrade from my 70's MIJ Jazz bass copy!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's most likely a polyurethane finish, but I can't say for sure. I can't say if it's fixable without pics - and even with them, I can't say 100%.

3. singer202

singer202

Dec 3, 2008
    Hey thanks. I will put some pics up as soon as I can. I dropped it off for a cleaning at my local music store. He claimed he can't do much with the crack, but it seams like there must be something......

4. singer202

singer202

Dec 3, 2008
    [​IMG]

Click on the picture and then you can zoom in on the crack. It is just under the knobs, I'm actually pointing at it.

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Most finish cracks tend to be straight lines. This crack is suspicious. It appears to follow the control cavity rout. More investigation is needed.

If it is simply a finish crack in a catalyzed finish it can be sealed with CA glue. However, it will always be seen by those who are looking for it.

6. singer202

singer202

Dec 3, 2008
    It does seam to follow the cavity rout, but I figured if it was all the way through, I could flex the wood down since its so much thinner there. I pressed pretty hard and no flexing. Still seams very solid. Also, cant see the crack from inside the cavity. This crack was probably due to extreme temperature changes and may follow the cavity because of the difference in expansion time between the thin cavity wood and the main body is my guess.