Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crack in the heel of my neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'm playing my Warwick thumb b/o last night, practicing my double thumb technique and all that, and I look down at the bit of heel that is just beyond where it meets the body (this is the side of the heel, not the back), and I notice what looks like a crack. I've always been able to feel some of the seams since the day I got it, and this feels the same, but looks a little different. It's not seperating, but definitely looks suspect. So I check the opposite side of the heel and see/feel something similar. Huh.....

Anyone else have anything similar on ANY bolt-on (not just Warwick) show up? Any idea on what causes it? Failure of the wood? Too much string tension? Should I loosen the strings whenever I'm not using it? Finally, how would you fix something like this? I've got some ideas, but wanted to check.

I've had this one for about 5 years, and have been nice to it (no dropping, beating, etc.), and would be pretty surprised if it turned out to be cracking. I guess the only way to get a good idea of what's going on would be to take off the neck and check it out.

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've got a P-bass with what looks like a crack on the right side, where the side of the neck pocket meets the heel (where it goes from vertical to horizontal). I believe it's just a finish crack, though.

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    it's happened on multiple basses for me. it just seems like too much stress on the neck pocket from side to side movement (like if you carry the bass around by the neck way up by the nut). i really have no idea though...

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Abrupt humidity changes, maybe?
    Is it wenge?

5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Nope, ovangkol. The humidity has been pretty consistent here, ranging from average (50%, +/-) to rainy.

This could very well have been there for a year or more and I just didn't notice it, but couldn't say for certain. Still haven't had a chance to take the neck off yet. I put new strings on (that's when I noticed it) and they sound great, so I keep talking myself out of taking them off again.

6. I hate ovangkol for necks! I've had a warwick neck twist on me, it was a 4 piece ovangkol neck.

7. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Yeah, I've heard that about these necks. I wish I knew it back when I got it, but I didn't know about TB then :p . Oh well, if it seperates, it'll be another project for me.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It's still more stable than maple imo. You've seen 1 twisted ovangkol neck, which is the only example I've heard of. However, I've seen some twisted and bent maple necks, and I bet you too.

9. You didn't put up pics. No pics no crack. So you're in luck.

10. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Yeah, yeah...:spit:

;)