1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crack in the neck started on grain. with Pics. Kinda need an opinion.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SNPERCHERY, Oct 19, 2013.

1. SNPERCHERY

SNPERCHERY

Oct 19, 2013
    I have washburn bb14 4 string bass. recently i noticed there is a crack in the neck that started from the grain near the head as shown in the pic.

my question is

1.) do you have an idea how long is the truss rod for this bass?
    2.) if its long enough all the way to the head. does it is enough to hold it forever?
    3.) is it repairable?

I love this bass. and use it every day.

thanks.

20131019_125505.
    20131019_125543.

2. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    It is repairable and should be repaired before fretboard cracks. Truss rod will not keep it in one piece. Ideally you should try to scrape existing glue off the glueing surfaces, clean glueing surfaces, apply glue and clamp until dry. Scraping and cleaning are the difficult part.

3. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    It is repairable.

The crack you see is actually a glue joint that released. Many manufactures use that style of construction.

Your profile doesn’t list where you’re located. If you include that someone might be able to recommend a good luthier for you.

4. SNPERCHERY

SNPERCHERY

Oct 19, 2013
    thanks for the reply's, im from the philippines,

5. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    How old is this bass? If you bought it locally and it's under warranty (it looks clean and new & the little sticker at the base of the headstock tells me it's fairly new), contact Washburn- that crack shouldn't have happened.

At this point, I would recommend not using this bass and de-tuning the strings, so remove the tension. The truss rod isn't a structural member, it's only there to provide/adjust the neck relief and, in fact, installation of a truss rod removes enough wood that the neck is weaker when the rod is slack. Also, don't use anything to clean the neck in the area of the crack. You don't want to contaminate the wood.

If the bass was bought from an off-shore seller or it's out of warranty and you don't want to tackle the repair, talk to someone who repairs furniture. Wood glue, clamps and wooden cauls makes this a relatively easy fix, but a little smoothing and possibly a finish touch-up will be needed.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That's called a scarf joint. It can be fixed. There's no broken wood there, just a failed glue joint.

7. its not actually a crack, just the two parts of the neck were poorly glued and are separating from each other (like other members said before). I probably would buy another neck...

8. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I've seen way too many of these scarf joints fail.

9. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    With the right glue, a luthier can make it stronger than it every was before, and I would have that done sooner than later.

10. 'Twere it me, I'd slack the strings this minute and take it straight to a repair place. No way would I play that or even leave it strung at full tension.

11. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    Good luck finding a replacement neck for a Washburn.