Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crack on FB side - why/what to do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi fellow Talkbassers - need some help and info...
    I have a Warwick Corvette 6, and the side of the fingerboard has developed a crack - its not that serious, less than half a milimetre wide and deep, but its 1,5 fret long (it starts behind the 7th frets side marker and ends under the 9th's). I know that wenge is prone to cracks, but my question is:
    - will the crack expand?
    - what causes it?
    - what will it cause?
    - what can be done with the crack or to pevent it?

If you have any ideas, thanks

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hmmm... I think you should contact Warwick customer service. I had a similar problem with my Peavey Cirrus, and a quick trip to the factory fixed it.

Lucky for you Warwick is in Europe.

Good luck with that... I feel your pain, and i hope it all works out.

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Its not that serious (to let go of my favourite bass for a time and only have tha 4 to practisse on)... I just want to know what I can do to prevent future cracks (or how to make this one disappear), the warranty and the shop is the last option (if it gets very bad)

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Bump...

Any ideas what is causing it?

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i don't know what caused exactley but i would say warranty should be first...

as i work in warrnty at a car dealership..if you have anything or do anything the warranty is void..so contact them first

steve

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ok maybe.

But what I really want to know is what causes it. Wenge is known to develop cracks - thats why Warwick abandoned wenge necks (and because it was to rigid), and the crack is really small, you wouldnt notice it at first look. So, are there conditions that make it worse or others that help avoid it - like humidity and temperature issues, fretboard oil, etc?

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    It may have been a change in temp...but its hard to know with out any info..
    i had a mtd 535..and yes the head stink was cracked...but it never developed cracks after that at all. in fl its really bad humidity

steve

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    well, my bass is kept mostly at room temperature, the gigbag is heat-insulated if i take it out to play; humidity is around 55-60% - I hope these are normal values

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    maybe it was bumped? never know

steve

10. i dont have any idea what caused it, but i do have a question of my own.

i have been saving up for a warwick streamer LX6 or a corvete proline 6. are they know for cracks, if so, why?

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The wood wenge is known for cracks, thats why Warwick stopped using it as a neckwood (see previous posts). It is now used as FB-wood. Quite rigid and growly.

Those are nice basses, either of them. The Corvette 6s have some neckdive, though, they prefer to be sitting at an angle of 15 to 30 degrees at the most, and wont stay at 45; however if you play it high (I play mine at about chest-height, as you would do it sitting down; the strap is about 85 cms long - normal Levis strap with an extra hole), that will not be as bad, the only problem then would be the weight. The Streamers balance better, yet I prefer the Corvette shape. So either way you choose, you will get a nice bass