Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crack

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Leco reis, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    In a carved bass what can I do if I see a small crack and I can not go to a repair shop at the right now?
    Can any repair be done right now so the crack does not get bigger?

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Where is the crack located?
    How did the crack appear?

3. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    little crack in the top front close to the side of the bass, if that helps,
    I saw in the morning my guess would be too dry in my apartment.
    Any first aid tips?

4. samuelbas

samuelbas

Jan 12, 2005
    belgium
    The first thing you should do is get a better humidity-level in the room where you keep your bass. :bawl: :crying: :bawl: ;)
    it has to be over 50%, you can do it by just putting a pot of water on your heater.
    you can buy humidty-meters very cheap so you can monitor the level.
    Then go to a luthier to get it fixed, it takes 2 days to fix it, one day to fill the crack and another to monitor.
    i have the same on my 1890 Italian bass, i have 2 cracks about 10inch each but my luthier told me not to worry.
    He had about 5 basses in his atelier that had the same problem. Winter can be hard on an instrument.
    grtz,
    samuel

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    There is a recent thread about humidity, and you should check it out, Leico reis. If you can work a little hide glue into the crack, that would help. However, if it isn't buzzing, and isn't getting bigger, you can take care of it later: when you get a chance to visit your luthier.

Lots of basses have cracks in them that don't really do much but sit there and be a crack. I know this is not perfect, but it's wood, and it cracks. The smaller stuff can be postponed, but big cracks i.e. soundpost crack, pegbox crack, neck crack... should be addressed asap.

HTH