Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

.... *CRACK*

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Theonestarchild, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Alright. Here's the deal. I looked at my neck yesterday, and it was bowed ungodly. So I got the allen out, and torqued the truss rod till I felt resistance. Then I stopped, and tightened the strings up to playing tightness. Still way too bowed. So I let it acclaimate, and played it for half an hour when I got home today. Then I took the string tension off, and worked it again until I felt resistance. I think one more tightening like the other two aught to get it. Two at the most. Question is, can the neck take the pressure? I am giving it 24 hours between an adjustment. I really don't want what the topic implies here. Please help out.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You should be fine. It it's bowed forward, tighten the truss rod, but if it's bowed back (action too low) then loosen it. Just take your time like you are, and make sure you have the right size allen wrench so you don't strip the nut.

3. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Sweet. It's almost where I want it. As far as action, I'm going to dump some out of the bridge as soon as I find an allen small enough to fit it. It's one small allen. The action at the first fret is really really good, and then I have 1/4th an inch at the 22nd fret. It's horrible. But it's alot more playable since I took an estimated 5 degrees of relief out of the neck. It was an immense amount so far. I might just leave it like this. While I am playing with a .115 string on the E, the action at the first fret was still very rediculous with the old truss rod. Now it's a few hairs short of vibrating the fret. But it doesn't. Miraculous. Let's see how the bridge adjustment goes after I find the supersmall allen.

4. most bridges I've worked with use a 1.5mm allen key for the bridge screws.

you use a 0.115 E-string???? SHNIKIES! 0.105 is PLENTY for me...