Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CRACK!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stingray5, Oct 2, 2000.

1. I think this is bad. Really bad.

With a change in humidity, it became time to adjust the truss rod in my Carvin LB75.

Loosen strings.

2 small turns clockwise to straighten the neck a bit and... CRACK!!!

The curve in the neck is about where it was before I "adjusted" it, and the truss rod still tightens and loosens, but no adjustment is being made to the bow in the neck no matter how much I tighten it.

Am I doomed?

(confounded neck-thru! :mad: )

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    OUCH!

No, you're not doomed. But you're not in the best of shape either. If the bass is still under warranty with Carvin, call them and they should take care of you. If it's not, you can call them and see what it's gonna cost you to have them fix it, or you can take it to a local repairman (if there's a good one nearby) and have the truss rod replaced. By the way, and not to "bash" Carvin....this isn't the first time I've heard/seen this happen with their stuff. My guess is that a weld cracked, but there's no way to know for sure until it's out of the neck. In any event, a truss rod is replaceable. The cost will depend on the type of rod and how it was installed. It's likely to be relatively expensive, but considerably cheaper than just replacing the bass, also probably cheaper than a replacement bolt-on neck would cost you on a bolt-on bass. Good luck!

3. Thanks Gard.

The bass is about 5 years old at this point, so I think the warranty is over. I'll probably take it to a repair shop.

Since the only open access to the rod is the little opening at the headstock, though, does this mean the fingerboard has to be removed?? Would this be mucho $$$??

Ugh!

Either that or it's piccolo bass time!

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Stingray -

Removing the truss rod can either be a difficult or easy surgery, depends on the method used to put it in the neck originally. If it's installed like the Warwicks, it's not a problem, they can just be slid out. Otherwise, it's some fairly major surgery, requiring the removal of the fingerboard. Don't panic though, it's not as scary as it sounds, I promise. It will not be cheap, but nowhere near as expensive as a new neck (which isn't an option anyhow), or a new bass. I'd contact Carvin first, they may offer to do the repair for less than a local repairman even though it's out of warranty, and they're really familiar with this kind of work (as I mentioned in my previous post....:rolleyes: ). Besides, it's a free phone call...so you have nothing to lose ;). Good luck, and keep me posted on your progress.....

5. Gard is correct,a broken truss rod doedn't neccesarily mean the end for your carvin. I took a look at mine, and it seems to be set up so you can slide it out. From what you're saying, it sounds like it is stripped, so the thing to do would be to call Carvin, order the part, and have a luthier slide out the old one,(Don't try it yourself unless you've done it before and have the correct tools),and put in the new one.The other thing the Luthier will probably do is to put the neck in a heat press, just in case it is bowed or warped,to straighten it out.I saw the same thing happen with a friend's Pedulla. I'll never forget watching the beads of sweat start rolling down his face when that CRACK sounded, But the repair job was exactly as I described, except he had to call Pedulla for the Part.And it wasn't terribly expensive, either.

6. Good news. I took the truss rod out last night, and you guys have described the problem exactly. The threads on the rod are stripped.

Next step is to call Carvin and get a new one. If it's cheap enough (and it SHOULD be)I'll get two (just in case) and continue this as a "do it myself" job. Hopefully nothing inside the neck is stripped. I guess I'll find that out when the new rod goes in!

Thanks again!

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Stingray -

That's great news, glad to hear it was the "easy" surgery! :D

Hope the re-installation is as easy for you as the removal was. Glad all's well, and keep us updated.

8. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I used to own a carvin and this happened to me after only a few months.
    good luck

9. Not surprising. I was never too pleased with the bass overall.

What did you do????? (warranty?)

10. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Yeah I just sent it back and had them fix it.
    The neck was very unstable. I was constantly adjusting it for proper relief.

I sold it soon after and bought a tobias.

11. Sounds like a plan!

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...or maybe another Stingray? ....or a Lakland?? .....or a Zon??? ......or a Tune???? .......or a Conklin?????

...ain't option anxiety fun??? :D

13. I have always wanted a Rickenbacker. :D

Mmmm... Rickenbacker...

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I've always wanted one too, but not the obvious one (i.e. 4001/4003). A good friend of mine in college had a really beautiful blonde 4005, and ever since then I've always wanted one. Oh well, maybe one day I'll get lucky and stumble onto one I can actually afford....

15. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I've just experienced a similar problem with my two year old Carvin neck-through.

No "crack!" though. I have been gradually loosening my truss rod to get the relief just right. I'm talking 1/20th of a turn each time, over a three week period. I noticed that there is lots of play in the nut. The neck still adjusts, but I can practically finger tighten the nut. If I snug it up, I'm sure the neck will be back-bowed.

This is a new occurence. I used to be able to feel the nut click a bit when I adjusted the rod in either direction.

Is the rod or the nut stripped? Is it broken? At the moment, the bass is set up the best it has been in months.

Bob