Cracked fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RobertPaulson, Feb 4, 2009.

1. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    I'm looking at buying a t-40 but it has a crack in the fretboard, just want some thoughts on what it would take to repair it, or if I should just stay away. Thanks.

O049.jpg

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    If I recall, the old peavey neck were "bi-lam" construction, which meant "split down the middle and reglued". They also had no dedicated fretboard. That would mean that in this case, the neck is splitting. Could you shoot some glue in there and clamp it back together? Yes. Would it hold forever?? Probably? Could it continue to split?? Maybe. If the rest of the bass was in decent shape, I'd buy it as a parts bass, fix the neck, hope for the best, all while watching ebay for a T-40 neck.

Lee

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I pretty much agree with BassikLee. One other thing to consider. It's been my experience that older Peaveys are one of the worst at needing the neck adjusted for less relief. So, consider the fact that the truss rod runs somewhere down the middle as well. Just use a really good wood glue and clamp tight and straight and let it dry really good and you probably won't have any problems. :bassist:

4. Given the location (center at the high end) you may have a truss rod problem. I don't know much about Peaveys, so I defer to the posters above, but I have seen necks that split due to truss rod tension. I wouldn't be surprised if that one is maxed.

5. T-40's sound great, but weigh an ungodly amount. The electronics are their strongest asset, with their neck being a distant second. If the price is right why not take the chance on it and see if you can glue up the neck. If not, use the electronics to make another Fenderbird(You could call it Fenderbird-40), then part out those remaining good parts.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021