Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cracked lacquer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by akuma12, May 8, 2005.

1. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Hope someone can point me in the right direction...

Being the complete idiot that I am, I propped my MIM Fender Jazz up on a chair, and wouldn't you know it, it toppled. For the most part it was ok, but there were some scratches and cracks in the lacquer (it has a sunburst finish). I was wondering if it would be possible to fix these blemishes without refinishing the whole bass. Or am I stuck with a few reminders of a really stupid move? Thanks for the help :)

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I personally haven't worked with nitro, but I've heard some interesting ideas for dealing with your situation.

The standard crack fix is cyanoacrylate (i.e. superglue). Often people use it to drop fill deep dings because it gets super hard and stays clear (if you avoid accellerator). You can sand it flush with the body and polish everything afterwards.

I've also heard of people using lacquer thinner on a cracked lacquer finish. If you brush it on the nitro will get soft again and (hopefully) will heal its self. The trouble here is that too much will cause the finish to sag and run and may ruin your colour scheme.

I won't claim that these are all the options available, and I refuse to recommend one method over another. I'll leave it for a refin expert to tell you what's what.

-Nate