Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cracked Neck...Help?!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bste9, Mar 22, 2004.

1. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    Hey all,
    i was at band practice tonigt and my stap came undone and my bass met the concrete floor. Consequently i now have about a two inch crack in the neck just under the nut on my Warwick Corvette std. Any suggestions? How will bad will this effect things? Im sure its not good, but how long can i play with it before i do some serious damage? Or is it too late? Any suggestions would help as i know nothing about this matter. Thanks.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Might be best for luthiers corner. But I just had to fix a crack in a guitar neck like that. The way I did it I wouldn't reccomend for inexperienced people. But for you, take the tension off the strings, and get it to a repair shop. Good luck there!

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If you're in the NYC area lemme know I know a few guys around here that can fix it for ya.

4. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    nyc is a little far for me, im in st.louis

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I can also do the repair if you live around Illinois.

6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Not to make light of your predicament, but after you get your neck fixed, spend the $15 for some straplocks- one of the best investments you can make. :bassist: Hope everything works out okay.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I live in central illinois, so it wouldn't be far for you to go. PM me.

8. crazytom

crazytom

Mar 21, 2004
    take it to your nearest warwick dealer and have them replace the neck. I'm pretty sure that as long as you own the instrument(assuming you are the original owner) it is covered under the warranty. Then you don't have to worry about your neck re-cracking. If you aren't the original owner it couldn't hurt to get a new neck even if you do have to play for it.

I woulnd't reccomend putting strap-locks on a warwick. The screw that warwick puts in their strap buttons is much larger than a strap-lock screw, so it wouldn't hold up.

9. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    the cracked neck probally will not be covered under war. coverage because it is not manufactures default

they will probally give you a better deal on a neck but proabally not for free !!! sorry dude

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yup - moved.