1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cracked neck pocket

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brentonbassist, Sep 27, 2010.

1. brentonbassist

brentonbassist

Aug 10, 2010
    Hi all,

I'm only brand new to this forum, but am in need of some advice.

I am currently in the process of putting together an Allparts Jazz Bass. The guy that I purchased most of the stuff off of test fit the neck to the body for me before shipping it. He said it was a very tight fit, and as a result he chipped a tiny bit of the paint when removing the neck (I didn't mind so much about that as it scored me extra discount, and it is mostly covered by the pickguard and neck). However, as I was just about to install the neck to the body myself I noticed that the neck pocket doesn't just have finish chips, but it's actually cracked! The top crack is all the way through from the inside of the neck pocket to the outside. The lower crack is through on the outside, but hasn't quite broken through the finish on the inside of the pocket (I can see under the finish though that it has cracked through the wood and is stressing the finish here also).

As I had already modified the body for a side-mount jack and battery box before I became aware of this crack I can no longer get a refund. IMO that the flash on my camera really exaggerates the crack, hence why I didn't notice it until upon very close inspection.

I was wondering what you would all suggest for a repair (it seems silly to repair a bass that hasn't even been built yet!)? I was thinking of shaving out the neck pocket a little (so that the fit isn't as tight) and trying to seep some PVA glue into the cracks from inside the neck pocket? I'm happy to live with the finish cracks, I just don't want lose wood cracks.

Thanks heaps in advance guys!

P1010350.gif

2. Hi and welcome to TB. The good news is it's NOT a structural concern, at all. Force some glue into the big crack and fix the finish as best you can. DO open the fit a bit to avoid further damage. Spend some quality time with some sandpaper and a block of wood to do that. Go slowly and test the fit often. It'll be fine.

3. brentonbassist

brentonbassist

Aug 10, 2010
    Thanks heaps! That's all I wanted to hear.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I agree - if glued, you will be OK. I'd stop at the pharmacy and buy a couple of syringes with moderately fine needles, then dilute some wood glue (Titebond is my favorite for this), and force the cracks open farther, inject as much glue as possible, then clamp firmly.

You want to use wax paper or some other material to keep your clamps from sticking, and don't crush the wood. You might even use a layer of rubber under the clamp to apply force without denting the wood. You probably will be unable to wipe off all the glue that runs out, so you'll have some cleanup to do.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021