1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cracked neck - repair vs replace

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mrbassman12, Oct 8, 2009.

1. mrbassman12

mrbassman12

Apr 23, 2009
    I recently bought a well loved MIM fender jazz bass off craigslist with the intention of fixing it up into something useable. My main concern with it is that its got a pretty nasty crack right through the neck that has been repaired (twice according to the prev. owner). I think this bass had a stint on the hardcore circuit. The current repair job seems to be well done as far as i can tell. The action is good, and the intonation is good.

so my question is... is this ok? Is a repair job like that a temporary fix, or can a cracked neck really be brought back to its original sound and integrity. So do you think it would be worth it to just replace it? I could grab a brand new mighty mite replacement neck for about 100$ from ebay dealers.

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    If you want a replacement neck this place has great deals on All Parts necks which are nice Fender replacements. I have an Allparts Jazz neck on my MIM P Bass.

3. Id go with just replacing.

4. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    A good repair can be stronger then the original,i would live with it and see how it goes,if the bass isn't worth alot you maybe throwing money away.

5. If the crack is stable, remember that a properly done glue joint is stronger than the wood around it. If it's repaired properly, there is no issue with sound or integrity.

I'd play it and not worry about it, but I'd probably take a look at it every now and then just to confirm that it's not separating or moving. If it ever does, the probable reason would be that the first repair attempt wasn't properly cleaned out before the second repair.

You didn't say WHERE the crack is. Placement may matter. Cracks from the E-tuner hole to the edge are not uncommon and not hard to repair.

But I suggest you just play it, check it and if it's repaired properly you won't have any problems.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If it's stable and not causing any problems, there's no need to replace it. Repairs are a part of life - if they're done right, then there's no need to worry about it.

7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Sounds good, plays well? You have what is called a, "good bass".

8. mrbassman12

mrbassman12

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks everybody. I'll probly just leave it and keep an eye on it. I think part of my issue is mental. Its kinda painful to look down and see it there.

9. Hi.

Think of it as being a part of the bass's character, rather than a flaw.

Too many salvageable parts may end up in the dumpster just because someone consideres them to be faulty and not worth to keep or to repair. And that's sad IMHO.

Regards
    Sam

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1 Also a replacement neck may not appeal to you as much once you've played it; if you like the one that's on there now I'd stick with it. The whole bird in the hand bit.