Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cracked nut. Superglue or take to Luthier?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kaboom, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Kaboom

Kaboom

Jun 13, 2005
    I was replacing the strings on my squire P and when i was tuning the G string the nut cracked. Its broken where the g string sits (but the string is still resting on what's left of it). The string still tunes and plays allright, but it looks like its gonna fall off any second.
    So should i just reglue the piece that fell off or is this a bad idea? should i get a replacement nut and replace it myself or should i just take it to a luthier?
    considering that the bass was worth about 250 bucks (things are slightly more expensive over here in spain) the luthier option seems like overkill, since he's probably gonna charge me than the bass is worth.
    Or i could just go and get me a real bass :hyper: but this isnt really an option since i've been spending faar too much lately and i've only had the squier for a couple of months.
    any help really appreciated. Cheers!

2. billio

billio Bass Head

Super Glue has no shear strength and I would think that the tension of the string bearing down on the repair would cause it to break again. So too if there was a tiny dag for the string to catch on as it moved through the slot. JMHO of course... :D
    Have a squiz on eBay, there's a few on there. They're cheap enough to replace so why run the risk of it breaking again right when you really don't want it to :crying:

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    uhm A Squier nut's what.. $8? a Luthier would replace it for what $20?

Not exactly sure, but I do know that nuts are pretty cheap.

4. go to carvin.com order a replacement nut for a few bucks...change it out yourself...

Remove old nut, by rocking it gently with plyers...put new nut in with a tiny dab of glue to do ya (nut is held in place mostly by string tension...

and Bob is your proverbial uncle.

10 minute repair job.

If you take it to a music shoppe to have done and they charge you more than $20 scream "FOUL"!

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I pick up nuts at Guitar Center for $.99 and file them down to taste. Of course there isn't a guitar center in Spain, but nuts are cheap and easily replaced/experimented with on your own, so pick up a plastic nut or two and size it up.

6. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Buy a new bass!! :p just kidding, if you have only been playing for 6 months and are tight on cash stick with what you have...I highly recommend replacing the nut though. Installation is simple and since the one you will be buying is most likely plastic you will not be spending too much money.

Do not super glue it, eventually it will give and it could happen at the worst possible time (during a show). Go to your local music store and take a look at the different type of nuts that they have available. Now I am not sure exactly how long you are intending on keeping this bass, or if you wanna put a lot of money into it to upgrade it but look into a bone nut or a brass nut if you have the extra money.

7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Maybe. Since the material doesn't make much of a difference in sound, and then mostly just on open notes, replacing the bridge isn't what's so helpful, getting the slots filed down to the optimum level is. Many basses come set up with nut heights that are higher than necessary, here's how you check: depress a string just forward of the 3rd fret and check for clearance of that string over the first fret. You're going for just a sliver of clearance, 1/8" would be way too much, and some of my basses are set up with no clearance over the first fret on this test.

Filing down the nut is probably the most difficult part to get right the first few times, but use sandpaper or jewelers tools and go slowly, because once you get it too low you'll have to either live with open string buzzing or get a new nut. The lower you're able to file your nut slots, the lower the overall action will be on your bass. With a lot of cheap axes, you can greatly increase playability just by lowering the action via nut filing.