Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cracked soundpost!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by aaguudis, Apr 10, 2003.

1. aaguudis

aaguudis

Apr 3, 2001
    Portland
    i happened to glance inside my old kay the other day and notice that there is a big crack running down the soundpost. i do not know how long it has been there. i havent knocked my bass around (well, not very hard) since its last trip to the luthier. is this a pressing matter, or can i just leave it like that until i take it in next time? the bass plays and sounds fine. thanks

2. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I'm resurrecting this old thread because I have the same question.....is the soundpost supposed to be solid?

I also have a Kay. I don't know if the crack was always there, but I did notice a significant drop in voulme recently. Could a cracked soundpost cause a drop in volume?

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Kay soundposts came with a long thin slot down the side. Why, I don't know - speculate at will.

Your soundpost may or may not have recently split - only your luthier knows for sure...:)

4. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal

I like the "tuning fork" theory, seems the most colorfull explaination anyway. :D

5. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    After looking at the soundpost again, the "crack" does appear a little to perfectly symmetrical to be a crack. It could be a slot I guess. Oh well.....

What else could cause a drop in volume?

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Dead string, bonked bridge, open seam, loose/cracked bass bar, loose saddle, earwax build-up...

Suddenly quieter?

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Seasonal?

8. mgebie

mgebie

Jun 11, 2012
    My bass has the same thing. The sound post has a possible crack. However, it is extremely symmetrical. But also, I do not know if it is a Kay. The guy I bought it from didn't know, and we couldn't find any label or anything on it. Could it possibly be a Kay? Because if it is, I think he got the short straw. :D