Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crackin' knuckles

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by monkeywrench, Oct 22, 2002.

1. monkeywrench

monkeywrench

Oct 17, 2002
    does cracking your knuckles make your fingers less able to play bass well?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I dunno about it hurting your playing at all, but I've heard (not sure if it's true) that you'll get arthristis (sp?) when you get old...that's prolly wrong though, :D. But yeah, I crack my knuckles and it doesn't make me any better or worse, my fingers feel loser and seem to be able to move farther, but this is prolly all in my head.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My health teacher back in high school said that it's a myth that you'll get artritish by cracking your knuckles.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not so much a myth as a misconception to how the whole thing comes about. Joints that are able to crack are more flexible than those that don't, and when the joint is more flexible it is more suceptable to arthritis.

5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    So cracking your knuckles is not a cause of any joint-related injuries? I'm just wondering... I crack my fingers regularly, and my neck and back sometimes. I should probably stop, but it feels really good and loosens my body.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It can be a cause of joint related injuries, but in and of itself, it does not cause arthritis.

But cracking your joints with too much force can indeed hyperextend ligaments/tendons, and can damage cartilage.

It is addictive(or maybe habit forming is the right term), IMHO. I started when I was a preteen, and now I have to crack them to get my fingers loose enough to play. And I have to crack them between sets to keep them that way.

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    when u crack your knuckles that is actually air, which is what makes the popping sound. it doesnt do anything to your joints. Unless, as embellisher said, u push too hard and mess up tendons. The rest is in your head.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, the air is really tiny air bubbles in the synovial fluid that lubricates your joints. All joints have synovial fluid.

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, it's actually one of two things, depending on the joint:

Nitrogen gas in the sinovial fluid (like when you crack your knuckles)

or a tendon slipping over a joint into place and twanging like a string (like when your hips crack - you younguns will understand later....)

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'm only 28 and it's a real "crack-fest" when I get out of bed every morning.

Be good to your joints, people, you'll be sorry if you're not!

11. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Hate -

Try Yoga, man - it'll change your life!

12. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I've read that its totally harmless...on the other hand i've also read that in the event of an emergency coca cola can be used to replace motor oil...cool...man bathroom reader books are great

-cap

13. some small studies have been done and theres two sides
    some scientists beleive that knuckles that were cracked became larger and could end up being damaged
    others beleive that the action of cracking knuckles isnt strong enough to cause damage
    so basiclaly its up to
    not cracking knuckles cant have any bad effects
    but cracking may
    so i think its better to be safe than sorry
    im kicking the habit

14. basskunk

basskunk

Oct 16, 2001
    atl,ga
  15. I've cracked my hand and foot knuckles as far back as I can remember. I'm 45 now, and I haven't seen any bad results yet. (I'm not saying that it can't happen though)

About 25 years ago, I used to regularly crack my back (it was probably my spine) every morning as soon as I woke up. I'd sit up in bed and while keeping my legs in front of me turn my upper body first as far to the right as it could go, then to the left. I would hear/feel about a dozen cracks each way and it felt great, but, then I started getting shooting pains down my left leg. Nerve pain. The kind you feel when a dentist drills your tooth without giving you novacaine. No balogna.

I put 2+2 together and promptly stopped doing this without ever going to a doctor and the pains eventually went away .

Maybe a small joint can take it, but, not a big one that supports a lot of weight.

Be careful.

Mike J.

16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Should I get the kind with the big chunks of fruit in it, or the creamy, fruitless kind? Oh, wait -- that's yogurt!

Seriously, I've thought about trying yoga, but that's about it.

17. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    A journey of a thousand miles......

18. i have a minor form of arthiritus in a few of my fingers and both my ankles. but thats from continually sprainging them and not doing andthing about it. i still play though. occasionallt i get sharp tingles in my joins from it and am forced to stop or bear it.
    I crack my knucles all the time after i come in from the cold, it loosens them up before class or bassin'
    -shoonk