Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cracking Warwick (bubinga)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by earwax sculptor, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Hello,
    I need advise/help. My baby, an old(er) Warwick Corvette 4 string (bubinga body/Wenge neck) is coming apart at the body joint seam in the center of the bass. This bass has been with me for about 7 years has been gigged to the extreme, the origin of the separation seems to be from the recessed straplock on the bridge side (which is drilled/mounted right in the seam of the body itself) pulling/putting pressure on the seam itself and after all these years of shows/the elements the seam is starting to separate. You can visibly see the separation from front to back from right below the bridge p/u all the way around the bottom and to about the same point on the back of the bass body. What I basically want to know is, how can this be repaired, is the bass shot? I really hope not cause I bought a new Warwick Corvette so I have one to play while I see about getting this one fixed and in my opinion, the old ones tone/craftsmanship demolishes the new one. Not that the new one is bad, its just different (fatter neck & only a wenge fingerboard on ovankol neck, bigger frets, no brass nut & the woodgrain of the body isnt nearly as sharp as the older one). I should also mention that there is no playability/setup issues noticable fom this crack, its just there & I want to make it better if at all possible. Please, any help or info on repair would be greatly appreciated, I love this bass & I really don't want to bury it.
    Thanks-

Jesse

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I think you should contact Warwick first, and tell them the problem, if they can´t help you, try looking for a profesional luthier.

Here in TB we have a Luthier forum, look for help in there, I´m sure those guys will help you or give you good advice....... good luck.

3. I talked to Warwick & they basically said "Well the bass is 7 years old and there are alot of factors that can cause cracks in a bass...blah,blah,blah...here is a guys number in Conneticut that can check it out" Conneticut? I am in New Jersey, and I am gonna pay to ship this thing all the way to Conneticut (and possibly have it get even more screwed up by the shipper (I speak from -bad- experience) so he can check it out? , not that I disagree with them, but I never ever played "rockstar" with this bass & that really wasn't how I thought they were gonna be. I wasn't looking for a handout but I was and still am a little pissed at how short they were with me. Oh yeah, does anyone know a good Luthier in NJ?;)

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've seen two bolt-on Warwicks (one new, one used) that had the center of the body cracked behind the neck pocket. I always assumed that it was due to the neck pocket either being too tight at manufacture, or becoming too tight because of the body shinking more than the neck heel. But maybe there's more to it than that?

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Ed Roman Guitars is in Connecticut so that may be the luthier Warwick was pointing earwax sculptor (love the nick BTW) towards.

6. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    Steve Hayes in Colonia N.J. is a Great luthier. However he is always backed up and your bass will be there a while. He has a HUGE rep and following in the area because his work is top notch. Hence he is always swamped. He has done a cracked neck repair for me and my guitar player and they were both great. Sorry I'm at work and don't have the # handy