Cracking your knuckles?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rexspangle, Aug 20, 2001.

1. is this bad or not I have heard both? I don't want to mess my fingers up.
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Depends on the person. How often, how aggressive, your technique, how much rheumatoid factor in your blood. That kind of stuff. My big question for you is, why isn't the E in knuckles capitalized instead of the S, since it was the next alternate letter?
  3. i recently rear a thread on the same subject and had several medical links to read up on it. in a nutshell, its never been proven to cause problems, unless you have a predispostion to joint problems to begin with. so its not something to really worry about, but what ive noticed is the more i crack my knuckles, neck etc.. the more i seem to "need" to do it, you know? ive just try to keep it at a minimum.
  4. cosbassmaster

Jul 11, 2001
    Sometimes I cant play well unless I crack my knuckles, especially when fingering fast. I do almost everytime i go to play.
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    That's a psychological issue, there is no relation to cracking knuckles and dexterity. You most likely are getting a good stretch which helps you, not the cracking.

There is no real link between knuckle cracking and arthritis.

6. snyderz - I DoNt KnOw WHy?

I find I play better when I crack my knuckles too. Maybe it is psychological but my fingers feel stiff if I dont. I have been cracking my knuckles since my uncle introduced it to me at about age 5. No pain yet but I just wondered. I can now crack nearly every bone in my body. just a little talent I'd let ya know about :)
  7. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I read that cracking your knukles could lead to serius finger joint problems...... In fact, playing bass is enough hard to fingers to crack them too

Hey 100 posts!!!!! :D
  8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    In general, the medical and scientific community agree that cracking your knuckles probably does nothing to your joints. Some doctors believe that it can cause early osteoarthritis, but this is debatable.

Some links that explains things a bit:

National Science Foundation Site

CBS Healthwatch

University of Chicago Newton BBS

University of Alabama Site
    Dr. Weil - Ask Dr. Weil Site

Last but not least, the Urban Legend website has an interesting commentary on this topic...

Urban Legend Website

MD PhD
  9. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    What is your specialty Erwin?

10. If all cracking your knuckles is is releasing gas that's in the joints, how can it lead to arthritis? It just doesn't make sense to me.
  11. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I trained in paediatrics and child psychiatry, and currently going to law school as well. I read in a post somewhere that you are Director of ER somewhere. :) Nice to meet you.