1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cracking your neck.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stanley Design, May 1, 2006.

1. The other day at school a girl was cracking her neck during class, she turned her head one way with her hands *crick!* then the other way *crick!*; except on the second crack she let out a cry, she had literally broken her own neck. Ambulance, stretcher, whole deal. I don't know if she's okay or what, she probaly is, but it's a good story to hear in case you are the kind of person who likes to crack their necks, now you'll think twice.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Strange, I read this and realized my neck was stiff, and cracked it.

It's a disgusting habit, but it's always good for breaking the silence.

3. i find that sometimes ill get a shiver or something and shake my head hard enough to crack my neck, i thought about it the other day how i could probably break my neck like that if i shook hard enough.....ill still crack my neck though, just not with my hands, just rotate the neck

4. I have also heard that you can get brain anurisms(sp?) by cracking your neck...or bloodclots, one of the two, due to a major vein that runs to your brain and it being pinched while cracking it.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sounds like some kind of old wives tale.

bc

6. I see a chiropractor weekly for that.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have found pillows play an important role in neck health.

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Sounds like bull. I always crack my neck first one way [crack] and then the other way [crack, ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!.....

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I probably crack my neck a half a dozen times each day. I've always wondered if you could do serious bone damage in doing so... guess she just proved me right.

And I almost always get weird looks when I do it, but to me, it feels good.

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I dunno if it's really that bad. My aunt's a physio, I'll ask her. I've never heard her mention it, and considering how often my neck cracks, she's probably aware that it happens to me. My back also cracks fairly often. I know some people are just more "cracky" than others.

Bruce Lee always cracks his neck in his martial arts movies. If he did it, it can't be all that bad! (I'm just waiting for someone to comeback at this with: "And he's dead too!")

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm not gonna say "He's dead too!", but I will say, it could've been a sound effect. :)

12. I dont believe this one second, and i crack my neck and my back quite alot, but that because ive got quite a few problems and it very easily unsettles which is bad enough usually as it adds pressure around the rib cage and often catch nerves, altho recently ive been mainly have problems around my sacroiliac, but i cant crack that myself, luckily enough my dads a damned good physiotherapist :D

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    crack kills

14. I DONT EVEN HAVE TO TRY TO CRACK MY NECK. IT JUST DOES IT WHEN I MOVE. I HAVE ALSO A PHYSICALLY DEMANDIN JOB. WHEN I MOVE EVERYTHING CRACKS. MY BUDDIES THINK ITS A HOOT. EVERY TIME I MOVE THEY SAY "HES ARCING AGAIN". ALL YOU YOUNG UNS PLEASE STUDY HARD IN SCHOOL AND GET A GOOD JOB.

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    [​IMG]

:D

16. i love that picture!!

and i just realized while sitting here, i can crack my fingers upwards of 30 times per round of cracking, i can crack each knuckle multiple times (not the same knuckle, but each of the 3 per finger, and then different directions and whatnot)

it feels soooooooooooooooo good

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Todd - Are you sure that she actually "broke" her neck or was that just the assumption?

If this story is true or if she even had an injury I say to everyone who is saying "I crack my neck all the time" that the cracking of the joints was surely not what caused the injury. It sounds to me like she was using her hands to wrench her head and she did it with too much force..an injury unrelated to the actual cracking of the joints.

bc

18. Sounds plausible. It doesn't take all that much force for me to crack my neck if it gets to the point where I feel I need to - just a bit of rotation. If it were possible for me to break my neck with that amount of force, I'd have done it many times over playing football and other stuff like that. Or looking behind my shoulder, for that matter....

As it stands, I'll keep on cracking....who wants to live forever, anyway, right?

19. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    You watch mythbusters too? :D

20. Well, you have to admit, the episode where they lock the animal carcass in the car to see if the smell will ever come out is pretty sweet. :)

On a serious note, I do think it sounds more plausible that the girl in question hurt herself not as a result of cracking her neck, but of using her hands and going too far. I know pretty much nothing about the situation, though.