Crackle coming through horn.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theJello, Aug 9, 2000.

1. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I just bought an Epifani 3x10. Pretty awsome.
    I noticed though that there is a crackling coming
    through the horn. I know its not any cables or anything like that. Its strange because its very random. It will be fine for several minutes then come back in again. It kind of sounds like if you were shaking a loose cable around but thats not it. I dont really know what it would be picking up becuase there is nothing around my amp that would cause the interference. Its does it when my bass isnt even plugged in so I have eliminated that also. Also, the volume
    does not effect it. So when the amp is turned up loud you dont hear it. Its strange though and is isolated to the horn. I already Emailed Epifani about it.
    Thanks for any help.
  2. Most likely a noisy component or bad solder joint in the power stage of your amp. Does it do anything different when you bang on the amp with your fist? If it crackles more each time you hit it, it is probably a bad solder joint. If the "technical tap" doesn't do any good, then it is probably a bad component.

I am assuming it is a head and cab. Try substituting a different amp to figure out if yours is screwy.

3. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I will try that. Although I dont think its the amp.
    I just replaced my goliath II with this new speaker cabinet.
    I didnt notice a crackle coming through on that cabinet.
    Although I wont rule it out. Would a bad solder joint in the amp cause a crackle to come through the horn? The crackle is isolated to just the horn. I turn the horn off, no crackle.
    Thanks for the reply.
  4. It could be a bad component or bad solder joint in the crossover of the speaker cabinet. Or a leaky crossover capacitor, or just plain bad horn driver. Hard to say. Swap around cabinets and heads to see if it follows the head or cab to isolate it. Of course you need another amp and cabinet to do this. :)

So as it turns out, I'm not much help at all. :)

5. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    No, dont down play yourself.It helps alot and I appreciate it. It at least gives me an idea.I hope its just something with the horn itself. Thats probably something I could replace myself if Epifani sent me the component. I had to change the diaphram(sp?) on one of my swr's. I really dont want to send it off to be repaired considering I just got it. Plus the cost of shipping and if it is damaged Ups probably caused it in the first place! Those bitches.