Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cracklin' bass jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    When I plug a cord into my bass it doesn't get a perfect connection so every once in a while if there is tension on the cord and it starts moving around, I get the crackle sound. Can something like this be fixed easily or do I need a new jack?

2. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    When mine started doing that (Fender), I took off the pick guard, cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser and gave the jack a little squeeze to make it tighter. Fixed it for me, you might try that :)

3. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    I had the same problem with my fender. i would clean the contacts and it would work semi-good for a week or 2. but i got mad last week and shelled out $10 for a new switchcraft to be put into it....it has deffinitly been well worth the $10. nothing more imbarassing then that cracking noise going through my cranked amp.

4. Yeah open 'er up heehee clean the contacts and where the plug sits, bend the little metal tab in closer to give a better fit. So too, look at the solder connections to it. If it was me i would resolder them anyway.

Check your guitar lead too... ;)

:D:D

Merls

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Damn you and your Australian lingo! ;)

He means check your cable.

6. Cracklin' bass jack, wow I thought I was the only one that liked that cereal.

As the above, if you can get inside maybe squeeze the jack tongs a little tighter, if not maybe shove a Q-Tip with some rubbing alchol on it inside the jack to clean it.

7. BAH! Guitar cable?? nah Guitar lead. heehee

:D:D

Merls