Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crackling from my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rygelxvi, Jan 26, 2003.

1. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I'm getting alot crackling from my bass as if it had a loose input jack. I checked the jack and it is tight as can be. It happens in both passive and active mode. I tried 4 different cables and their fine. I also tried it through 2 different amps. My bass is only a week old and the crackling starts all of a sudden a few seconds after I plug in. So what could be the problem?

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm probably wrong, but I was thinking it could be a problem with your battery... Have you checked it?

3. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    well I still get the crackling when in passive mode (the battery is inactive)

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Oops, misread that, nm :)

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what kind of bass?

some(most) basses still use the battery in some way even when in passive mode - it's not necessarily a true bypass. do the tongue test :)

6. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Its a warwick thumb. tongue test?

7. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    you know when you put the 9v to your toungue to see how much power it has?

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

AAAAAAAAAAH how did i know?!?!?!

warwicks with MEC electronics are notorious for having craptastic pots, especially volume pots. i've had 3 warwicks, and have had 2 volume pots go.

if you replace the battery and it's still there, i'd bet your pot went south.

9. Had to replace the Volume Pot and the Input Jack on my Warwick when it was new.

Warwick replaced the parts for free and threw in some really cool shwag to cover the $30 to have it all put together.

10. imLOST

imLOST

Jan 12, 2003
    Iowa.
    I bet one of the wires that hooks to the input jack is tad loose. I had this problem once..

-imLOST :D

11. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Pots are so bothersome. I have an old Marantz reciever that begins to crackle due to the dirty old pots. Got to fiddle with them before it goes away.

Wow, yours must suck because mine are already 30 years old.