Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crackling output jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mashed potatoes, Jan 2, 2005.

1. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    when i first got my bass, the output jack was fine, and worked with any cables.

i started using those planet waves cables with the expanding part that holds the cable firmly in place, and i also loop my cable around the strap button.

i've noticed lately that if i use a regular plug and do not loop the cable around the strap button, the patch cable will occasionally make an obnoxious crackling noise. further investigation showed that when the plug is in the output jack, it can wiggle around inside it, resulting in this crackling noise. this problem does not occur when i use the planet waves cables, because the expanding part holds the plug firmly in place.

is there any way i can fix this output jack, so that it will work nicely with regular cables again, or does it need replacement? i have tried tightening the jack, but that didn't help. Also, could the expanding portion on the plug of the planet waves cable possibly wreck an output jack, or perhaps erode the inside slightly so that standard cables will be able to wiggle around inside?

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The part of the jack that contacts the tip is a spring. The PW plug exerts more pressure on the spring than a standard plug does, and over a bit of time, the spring will have a "normal" position that's fits the PW plug but will be a bit loose for a normal plug.

So all you have to do is bend the spring a bit towards the center of the plug. No biggie.

3. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    do you know how i could do this without splitting open the jack?

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    What bass? Is it a long (sidemount) jack or a short (topmount) jack?

5. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    it's a long sidemount jack on a '93 warwick fortress.

i'm assuming i'd have to reach inside with some sort of hook-shaped tool?

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well, worst case scenario you spend $8 or so on a new one. I hate long jacks because they can't be fixed "in the field" and they always want to work loose.

7. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    yeah, it does need to be tightened frequently.
    it's not really a matter of money, i just need it fixed sort of quickly. i have daily rehearsals, and i was hoping to have it fixed in time for tomorrow's.