1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crackling sound when playing notes

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IsleyBros, Dec 31, 2016.

1. IsleyBros

IsleyBros

Jun 10, 2016
    MM Sire V7 5-string

There is crackling everytime a sound is picked up by the pickups. No crackling when i'm touching the metal parts or letting go of the strings, just when i'm playing a note/or when any other sound is picked up. Started happening a few days ago

What could be wrong? loose solder joint?

Strings are not hitting the pickup poles
    Cable and preamp working correctly, no crackling when i'm playing my electric guitar
    Still crackling when soloing the neck/bridge PU, active/passive mode makes no difference

Attached audio of the crackling

Attached Files:

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Is any part of your hand touching the pickguard? I have one bass that produces static when my thumb moves around on it. I wiped it down with an anti-static dryer sheet and that helped for a while but need to do another application.

3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    have you checked the batteries?

4. IsleyBros

IsleyBros

Jun 10, 2016
    I have not, but the crackling is still there in passive mode

5. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Bad solder joint on circuit board/wiring, volume pot/output jack needs to be cleaned or loose connection at output jack/plug.

Le Basseur likes this.
  6. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    This was my first assumption. I can replicate it by tapping my finger on the pickguard right behind the EA coil of my P that has this issue.

7. IsleyBros

IsleyBros

Jun 10, 2016
    Odd thing.. when i plugged it in today and played there was no crackle.

Seems to be working fine right now

8. Luke_94

Luke_94

Dec 15, 2016
    I hate that. Just like a car which keeps having problems but works fine as soon as you decide to take it to the mechanic

static0verdrive likes this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The proper solution to remove static electricity discharges is shielding. Rubbing a dryer sheet all over your axe will make it smell. Start by putting some aluminum or copper foil tape on the back of the guard and see if that alleviates it.

OP, test new cables and a new battery. It seems like the issue is resolved but we'll see.

10. Might have been oxidation/grime on your output jack causing a crappy connection. Plugging and unplugging it a couple of times may have resolved the issue, which is why it works now.

If not, bad solder joint/connection would be my thought.