crackling tone knob

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bigwig, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    since i've gotten my gibson grabber a few months back, whenever im playing with some noticable volume and i try to turn my tone knob midway through playing, i get this heavey cracking sound coming out my cabs.. so i usually set the tone befor i play a song...and if i want to change the tone i have to turn the volume knob all the way down, then turn the tone..then turn the volume knob back up, and it can be a huge pain.
    apart from that, my bass sounds amazing, (although ive never plugged it straight in, its always running through a sans amp preamp).
    do you know what could be the matter? i was thinking faulty wires, mainly due to the fact that its 30 years old.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a dirty pot. You can get contact cleaner for the pot, give it a whirl, should help.
  3. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    my warwick had that problem with the volume pot. it's just some dust and dirt stuck in it. i e-mailed warwick about it, and they told me to use one of those cans that shoots out air to clean it out. it worked perfectly.

in case you didn't know what i meant by that can that shoots air (sorry, i can't remember what exactly it's called), here's an image of one. you can find it in an office supply store.

4. Wait a minute. So, I have this problem too. Should I pull off the electronics cover, and clean out the pot in there? I'm not exactly sure what you guys mean.
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Uhhhhhh... contact cleaner = yes. Compressed air = maybe but probably not. A good cleaner and lube like Caig D5, or even a plain cleaner like the big can from radio shack, will wash the crud off and should do the trick. I've even used WD-40 in a pinch and as long as you don't overdo it it is good too. Compressed air will blow out any debris, but if you have oxidation on the contact strip it won't do much.

FYI, Rat Shack is carrying CAIG products now. They carry the small spray can and a multi-pack.