Crackly Cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwx014, Dec 29, 2005.

1. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Hi! Lately when I've been playing my cab has been cutting in and out and making crackly sounds when I'm playing. I play a Rickenbacker 4003 through a Behringher BX300T Head and a Harkte 1x15 cab. I also recieved a Line 6 Bass PODxt Live for Christmas. The crackly noise happens wether or not I'm using the Bass PODxt live.
    Thanks, Any help is greatly appreciated. :help:
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Clean your jacks and cable plugs with electrical contact cleaner/TV tuner cleaner.
  3. i had the same problem a couple of months ago...try changing your speaker cord...that fixed my problem!!!
  4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    It's often something simple, so like the suggestions above by all means try anything you can. It's not the best feeling paying some tech $120 dollars to do something you could have done yourself but didn't think of. Don't ask how I know.

I'm assuming you don't want to spend too much money trying to figure this out. Maybe you can borrow a speaker cord and guitar cable from somebody for a few minutes to eliminate that. Swap out one cable at a time to find the one that was the problem.

You could also take the head to a music store and hook it up to a different cabinet to be sure it isn't the head. (Tell them you need to see how the cab in the store sounds with your amp ;) ) Does the Pod have a headphone jack? Plug the bass into it on a clean model and listen with headphones to be sure the bass isn't crackly.

It's probably something simple and cheap. I used to have a Harke 1X15. Sounded pretty good, but it was on its 2nd speaker when I got it, it had failed on the previous owner while still under warranty. I've seen his band, jazz and standards played at a lower than conversational volume as background music, so it wasn't overpowered.