Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cracks around the neck and screws which pull out...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JmD, Sep 17, 2005.

1. JmD

JmD

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Hi All,

Two main problems, I've got some cracks coming from where the neck attaches to the body, are these common? Do they matter, if yes how do I repair?

and

A screw was pulled out of the body where the bit the strap attaches to was screwed in, I've filled it with wood filler, what should I do next?

Sorry for the non-technical language, I've only been playing a couple of months.

Thanks

JmD

2. Welcome to TalkBass! Please fill out your profile so that we can get to know you better.

You'll have to determine if the cracks are in the finish or start in the wood of the body. If one of the cracks runs across the body - opposite to it's lengthwise orientation, you can pretty much figure it's in the finish. Wood won't crack like that across it's grain. The cracks come from the stress of cranking down on the neck screws.

Instead of wood filler, use a small wood dowel or the old standby of round toothpicks. Pack them in the hole and put a large drop of super glue in the hole and let it soak in. Then screw your strap button back into the body. That repair will stay put. When you get a little more familiar with your instrument and are ready to make 'er road ready, you can install a set of brass inserts in the body for using stainless steel machine screws to hold the strap buttons on. Then the wood around the screw won't fail again.

3. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    a bit of hot-glue will work also.

the brass insert idea is great, I dont know why they dont do it that way in the first place.

4. I'm with you but I'm glad they don't because as far as I know, I'm the only one that's ever used them for this purpose.