Cracks in my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leanne, May 29, 2002.

1. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY

I have a luthite Ibanez bass (edb-600, bought in Feb.). I have noticed a few cracks on it!??! One is where the neck meets the body on the left side (not the side that is cutaway for access to the frets). Another small one is on the other side where the neck meets the body. Another small one extends outward from one of the holes for the bolts that hold the neck on.

I can't really tell if these thin cracks are only in the finish or not. It keeps going sharp, which is not usual, but I don't know if that could be related to these cracks or not.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? Any advice would be appreciated. My poor little baby. :(

2. Listen

May 19, 2002
    That happened to me and everyone I know that pays for crappy Ibanez, I will never buy Ibanez again, it ruins the sound, my advice is sell it to a pawn shop that doesn't know anything about basses, say you you paid a lot for it.
  3. Listen

May 19, 2002
    in about a month or so, your gonna have a problem:eek: , I suggest you don't play slap for now. Like I said, this happened to me and about 5 other of my friends. I thought it was nothing, but almost everytime I plucked a note, it went out of tune, it was horrible! Sorry to break it to you!:(
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my SSII has a crack. i think as long as you can't move it by pushing on it it's fine.
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i will buy it for cheap!!
    even if it is ruined!!

6. My FireGlow Ric has all those cool little crackly little things all around the body and neck......
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would be a lot more worried about cracks in a luthite bass than in a wooden bass.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Leanne, do you live in a very cold or very warm climate?

It'd be interesting to see how the luthite goo reacts under different conditions...
  9. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Those luthite basses (what is luthite anyway? Luthiers' graphite?) sound like crap anyway. Lose that hunk fast and trade it in on a wood bass. ANY wood bass. Wood is what gives a bass its tone. Depending on the neck/body wood you can have deep and boomy to bright and punchy. But you have to have some wood in the equation.
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have said before. ....plastic basses sold as new hi tech products....

you use the cheapest material, some plastic much cheaper than the cheapest wood. make guitars and basses. pay "musicians" (even if some of them are more guitar holders than musicians...) to play (or hold) the same bass in promotional photo sessions. you sell a lot of basses and make huge money. but thosa basses are made of plastic...

what's the story? morning glory
  11. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Right Barroso... scurdammoc'o passato, simm' e Napule paisa'
    I don't think this helps... but it's funny(?).
  12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Was the bass purchased new? If so, what's the warranty like for a "plastic" Ibanez? Sounds like a manufacturer's defect to me...
  13. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Well, my friend brought it back in to the store where I bought it today (he works there). They ended up sending it back to Ibanez and gave me a new one. It feels different of course, which kinda sucks. I was so used to it...

Hopefully this one won't crack!