Cracks in my P-Bass Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gbass75, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Hey, Fam!

So... I have a 2007 Fender AVRI P-Bass (The "Dad Bass") that I'm selling, and a prospective buyer caught something is one of my pics that I'd not even noticed...

He asked about "cracks" at the base of the neck, by the truss rod. I went back to look, and sure enough, there was something there...

My initial thought was/is that these are scratches or gouges; possibly made by a previous owner when adjusting/working on the neck... though, I'll say, I'm not sure how they'd have occurred.

I realize that it's hard to make a call without seeing it up close, and personal... but, based on the attached pics; what do YOU think?

Thanks so much to all!

~G.

Attached Files:

2. Here's a few more. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

I should tell you... I've had the bass for a year or so... got it from a fella on gbase.com. He never told me about any issue with the neck... and the set-up was so good when I got it, that I never removed the neck until now (when prospective buyers were asking for exact production date info)...

Attached Files:

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Looks like someone took a knife to it and used it to draw a line around the top of the neck pocket while it was mounted. Why anyone would do that, I haven't a clue.

Gaolee and Gbass75 like this.
  4. The lines are so perfectly straight, I never entertained the thought that they could be cracks.

I've had no problems at all with the playing of the bass... not a single issue...

5. It does look like that, right? And, yes, the question is "why?" I wondered if someone was somehow trying to determine if the neck was was level? The marks just look so exact...

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My first thought as well. Looks like someone scored the neck with a blade of some sort while it was installed. As low as the lines are, I would wager they did it with the guard off. But that's more of a hunch.

Gbass75 likes this.
  7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I wonder if the neck perhaps got jammed in the pocket too tight and wouldn't come out? Run a knife around to break any finish attachment, then pry it out with a screwdriver, maybe? It seems like a stretch still though.

Gbass75 likes this.
  8. Hmm... that guess is as good as any, I suppose. I'm totally perplexed...

9. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    It's from the pickguard shielding plate , there is a metal plate under the guard right ? It's from that. A crack is a fracture that's not a crack that's a indentation.

10. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I don't think those are cracks. Could be from the pick guard. Maybe it was a really tight fit and it somehow cut into the finish. Dunno. What's it look like when it's on the bass?

REMBO, Gbass75, songwriter21 and 3 others like this.
  11. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I concur. If it is an AVRI, it should have the aluminum shield and those are quite sharp and often tight-fits at the heel. This is a non-issue as far as the performance of the bass in concerned.

12. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    It is nitro correct?

Gbass75 likes this.
  13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As stated in a few previous posts, they are indentations from the pickguard and/or shielding plate. Not cracks.

SkulliesBass and Gbass75 like this.
  14. Thanks to all of you for your responses.

I didn't think they were cracks... again, this was how the (prospective) buyer characterized them, based on the photos in the advert. But, even though I didn't believe they were cracks, I also had no idea what would have created the marks.

Your opinions are very much appreciated!!!

Anyone else want to weigh in?

With gratitude,

~G.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    BlueMINI and bdplaid like this.
  15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Pickguard shielding plate is the best bet so far, I think.

johnson79 and Gbass75 like this.
  16. Thanks to everyone who has written! ...and, apologies to all those who I didn't quote!!!

17. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Trinity, FL
    Not cracks ...

scratches or cuts involving pickguard ..!!

go ahead and sand it a bit , you can't sand away cracks ...!!!! take before and after pics ... show buyer

Gbass75 likes this.
  18. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    My thoughts are how didn't you notice those cracks before potential buyer when they're Clear as day on your pics!!

david bennett likes this.
  19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Definitely not a crack. A crack would form near the truss rod hole if pressure on the truss rod was the cause of it. There is absolutely nothing near that area. I think that's what the buyer is probably nervous about.
    That certainly looks like an indentation from something like the pickguard.

20. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Notice that the "cracks" stop where the rout for the truss rod is. I might be tempted to sand the lower edges of the pickguard to smooth the aluminum and maybe a little polyurethane over the scratches if you are worried about invasive moisture, I wouldn't bother though.

Roxbororob likes this.