Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cradle support

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by idahohay, Nov 25, 2002.

1. idahohay

idahohay

Nov 22, 2002
    Priest River, ID
    I am curious what type of bench support others are using to safely hold DB. Has anyone got what they consider ideal? Just curious.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Not sure what the question is....do you mean when the bass is being worked on?

3. idahohay

idahohay

Nov 22, 2002
    Priest River, ID
    Sorry I wasn't more clear. I was refering to when work is being performed when it is important to hold the base from moving around.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Well, luthiers usually seem to have a padded workbench with some means of neck support for repair work. However, if I'm just changing strings or doing routine mantainence, I just put the bass on the bed and prop up the neck on some pillows, works great. Be sure to remove spouse from bed before attempting this.

5. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    NW Arkansas
    So far I've found my couch is a good place to lay the back and extend the headstock over one arm rest. The couch arm rest provides some neck support, but most support is on the back of the bass. A bed should be as good or better. One shop I was in had a padded bench that allowed the neck to extend off the end of the bench. There were "hoops" along the sided of the bench that allowed bungee cords to be hooked and pulled over the body of the bass. It also allowed the bass to be put on it's side and held down firmly. Looked pretty good and simple.