1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist - 1965 CAR P - Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scatterblak, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

May 12, 2007
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Endorsing Artist for Low End bass guitars, DNA Amplification
    http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/3493927173.html

This looks awfully nice - I'm sure there are some great old P's floating around out there (Nashville flood jokes notwithstanding), but this one looks a little shinier than I'd expect for am instrument that's almost 50 years old.

Take a look and let me know what you experts think? :)

--S

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'll never stop being amazed that people will throw an ad on CL featuring 2 sloppy photos with an $8grand plus asking price.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It shines much like my 4 year old lava red Yamaha Attitude Limited II

I never knew of a such brilliant (almost metallic) color back in the mid '60s

Secondly, a such brilliant (and still metallic to date) color from the mid '60s

Too good to be true

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    same with ebay

5. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I'd bet a Benjamin that's a refin. I'm no vintage Fender expert but like someone said, the color is dead wrong for that era to my eye.

6. jajafofo

jajafofo

Nov 17, 2008
    Too glossy, so it could be a refin. But I also don't believe that an original 65 Fender P would have the engraved Fender "F" on the neck plate..

7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    looks like a modern bass, not a refin, to me.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

How about the new basses Fender's making these days!

They're a great value with vibe and tone & build quality wouldn't you say?

9. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Looks like a refin. I believe I see the 60's Fender router hump on the bottom horn. Sweet bass, but not for that money.

Edit: Actually, I take it back. That could very well be an original finish if it really wasn't played. Although the guard should be yellowed a bit more than it is.

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Like it's been mentioned it's hard to tell form two itty bitty pics. I recall one individual seeing a Jag in CAR at the NY Guitar show. It looked new. The CAR is a more robust finish that the Sunburst or some of the others. Hit the bank, take your dough and take a look. I would try to find someone how really knows to bring along. After all you're in Nashville. I would even ask George Gruhan what he would charge to vette this bass.

Good luck.

11. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Be careful! I have a Squire Affinity P bass that exact color.

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I wouldn't do a deal of this magnitude without being there. I realize I'm old school but 8 K is a lot to me.

Remember people used to work a year to make that kind of money.

13. Actually that's what a typical CAR P bass of that era would look like (gold undercoat), and it was a popular color then.

Whether it's a refin or a closet classic remains to be seen. In person. By an expert.

As it's a '65, you'd be deducting some points for the "F" plate. L-series 65's are worth more. Sounds silly but that's just the way the game has always been played. The value is in the collectability factor, after all.

14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The technicallity here is '65 wouldn't have an F plate, but most of '66 does have the F plate.
    So this at least tells us this bass is a 1966, but really doesn't make a difference on the value.

15. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
  16. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    This, this and this.

17. tomshepp

tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    This, is what matters here. No one can determine the authenticity or originality of the bass from the photos in the add.

If the bass is legit, then the asking price is (I think) in line with what a custom color bass in that condition would go for. Well, maybe a little high as it's really post CBS. But still, just an asking price. The selling price could be much lower.

18. tomshepp

tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Sorry, I just realized I was being redundant.:rollno:

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 It looks too clean to be almost fifty years old?

20. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    What jumps out at me is the position Dots on the fretboard, back in the day they were a dull creme color, later on they started using a Pearlish material that was much brighter. All the Early and Pre CBS Fenders i have come accross all had those unique position markers.