1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Craigslist ads. Have fun.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Paulabass, May 22, 2020.

1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Let's list some of the dumbest/misleading/just plain outlandish claims we see on Craigslist (or similar) bass ads. Real or made up.
    - Dead mint condition, like it left the factory, except for buckle rash and headstock repair.
    - This is simply the best bass ever made. There is none better at any price. Selling to upgrade.
    And my favorite, any ad that starts- Anybody that knows basses knows......

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    100% original pre-CBS.
    Badass bridge and Quarter Pounders.
    Spitfire guard. Older re-finish.

lyonaudio, design, miljoneir and 16 others like this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Fender Bass for sale.

(Pics show Squier)

Beej, lfmn16, RumbleBot and 43 others like this.
  4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Unrelated to basses, but I once sold an item that I described as honestly as possible, general consensus "acceptable". Price-wise, I got out of it what I expected and wanted.

Later I found out that I sold it to a reseller that listed the same item as "mint" and actually sold it for nearly double the price.

There's a sucker born every minute... but I wonder if that's me in this story.

5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Since your integrity is intact, the answer is no.

SoCal80s, lfmn16, Membo and 25 others like this.
  6. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Absolutely firm on price, I don't need to sell this bass.

Bass is priced way over what it goes for new.

Beej, lfmn16, Big Shrek and 11 others like this.
  7. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Since 1951 Fender’s Precision Bass has been the standard. This one is indeed rare and the real deal. Made in the USA. Not a reissue. Not a Squier.

1978 Fender Precision Bass in all original and rare natural finish with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard.

The original owner took fine care and smartly upgraded the pickups to EMGs. Gigging bass players will prefer the tone of the EMGs. 9 volt door added to back of bass for easy access. I don't have the old pickups but if that's important to you they are easily found online. Bridge/saddle was replaced but I do have the original which is included. I added a Fender chrome bridge cover and thumb rest years ago. Some very minor buckle rash on the back of the body (see pic). Hardware has the cool patina you expect from a 42-year-old instrument. The neck is in excellent condition. For a player's rocker that has had easily less than 10 years playtime, it is an awesome workhorse. Its desirability and value will increase. Original hardshell case included. Come try it if you want to, I don’t have a bass amp so please bring yours. Do the homework and you will see based on everything above....it is fairly priced (below appraisal), please don't waste time with lowballs.

Seller states they are a guitarist.

8. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Base for sell.

beatdatthang, grinx, Deitz and 45 others like this.
  9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Bought it brand new 3 years ago, only used once ... Yeah Right ;)

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That's code for, "See, honey, I DID put it up for sale. But the market stinks right now and no one is buying ANYTHING!".

11. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    That backfired on me once. Buyer said he'd pay what I'm asking. lol

lyonaudio, Relayer71, equill and 13 others like this.
  12. Yeah.... I listed a bass about 2 years ago. I researched the value pretty hard, and listed it about 20% less then other examples I had found.
    2 days in I'm contacted by a " broker" from LA who said he was very interested in the bass but that I was asking WAY to much. He was offering me about half of my asking price so he could " make a couple of bucks". I politely turned down his offer and got a " whatever " in return.
    I looked up his name and found he was indeed a known reseller in LA and it made me start to question if maybe he was right but I left the ad alone for a few weeks.
    2 weeks later I'm contacted by a touring musician who says he's gonna be coming through town in a couple of days and do I still have the bass.
    We arrange to meet at the venue he's playing and he enthusiastically buys the bass , at the full asking price, saying how thrilled he is to find one " at that price!"
    I'll never second guess myself again. :meh:

Deitz, Telanoc, Big Shrek and 14 others like this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Low Action.

14. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Just saw this "Gibson" for sale yesterday.
    Gibson guitar - musical instruments - by owner - sale

Gibson guitar - $1000
    Missing a string. Negotiable

The primary picture is from the back... it's one of the infamous Gibson Les Paul Bolt on necks.
    00K0K_5ux0yIe5YsV_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    Then the headstock (Gibson's version of a squire bronco).
    00v0v_1kCqpWEnW49_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

And Finally
    00T0T_jnY6gb1hp8J_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I guess that could be good or bad, depending on how outrageously high you priced it. :D

16. My fav was a listing that said -
    "Ibanes Base"
    ...and it had a pic of the back of just the body. No description at all, only that one pic. I asked the seller for a pic of the front, the headstock and asked him what model it was. His reply was "It's older, I'm not home right now." I never heard from him again.

17. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I stopped reading CL ads in LA because it appears that no one in LA can write in complete sentences any more.

18. TheReceder likes this.
  19. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    Let's say it's a 990$ string then.

20. oranje

oranje Living deliciously Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    Fender Squier (Squire) custom painted by esteemed local artist - $1500. Collectable

foolforthecity likes this.