1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Craigslist, advice wanted...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by RobertPaulson, Mar 19, 2009.

1. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Saw this on craigslist, I've been interested in getting an upright for a long time, I've only ever played around on one once for about an hour at my cousins. I play electric bass every day. Anyway, saw this on craigslist and was looking for some input.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/msg/1081425545.html

I don't know the first thing about uprights so any information would be helpful.

thanks.

2. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Grab it! That's a good deal if the description is accurate. It looks to be a chinese-made bass of some kind. The ones we have in our rental stock are similar. They are good for students/enthusiasts.

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    It sounds like they don't much about uprights either.

A manufacturer and model number might be a good place start.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

You would do well to read the newbie links here. They're a crash course in DBs. Then c'mon back with any questions. I looked at the ad. Here's a word of warning. Anyone who talks about the "fretboard" on a DB probably isn't an expert either. Don't be taken in by the mention of "spruce top" and "maple back." Some companies and sellers say that even when the bass is plywood and the veneers are spruce and maple. I can't tell from the pics if this is a carved bass or not. For $600, I suspect it isn't. Could be a great deal, could be a nightmare. Way too little info. Whatever you do, if you can get the bass to a luthier first, that would be extremely helpful.

5. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    yeah....for 600 id say go for it.

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I just went through the process of researching and buying a DB after being strictly a bass guitar player for 10+ years. Do yourself a favor and do some research - starting with the links and messages on this board. It may not be a good idea to jump on something just because it looks like a good deal (and $600 could be a good deal depending on the bass).

And like I said with my other post, at least find out who made the thing and what model it is. Also ask them if it has ever been to a luthier, and what thier name is.

7. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Now here's some good advice for ya.

8. 400$Bass

400$Bass

Jan 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Offer them 400.00 that's what my wife bought mine for. It was a 1999 Engelhardt EC-1 in excellent condition. If they decline maybe you can meet in the middle for 500.00. If you are playing the electric bass everyday you are really going to enjoy the UDB. GO FOR IT !

9. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I was gonna say play it first and see how it sounds and feels. That' s a great price.

You' d be better off doing some research first though. :meh:

Fred

10. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Better snatch it up before hubby returns from his business trip and realizes wifey is CLing all his toys. :bassist:

11. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    So this guy is looking through CraigList and happens upon an ad for a five-year-old Corvette for five hundred bucks. He calls up and asks if the car has been sold and the woman who answers says, "Nope, not yet."

Needless to say he runs right over. There, in the driveway, is a sharp-looking 'Vette. Rings the bell and out comes the lady he spoke with. She gives him the key and the car starts right up. Before she can change her mind, he gives her ten fifties and she signs the title over to him.

"OK," he says, "We're all set. But please tell me: What is going on here?"

She says, "Six months ago my husband ran off to Vegas with his bimbo secretary. Last night he called and said she'd taken him for everything -- everything! -- all gone. He had the gall to call me! He said, 'Honey, I need your help just one more time. Sell the 'Vette for me, will you?' "

12. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    About 15 years ago, I hit a garage sale being done by two women in their 30's. There were several boxes of great jazz albums. Nothing really collectible, but stuff like Art Blakey, Gigi Gryce/Donald Byrd's Jazz Lab, some Mingus, Monk. Some pretty obscure stuff too, but all of it was great. I grabbed maybe 50 albums and started to hand them $50 bucks which was a fair price. One of them just laughed and said, 'those were my ex-husbands and I'm selling them for him. Give me .10 apiece'. :hyper::hyper:

Poor sap.............

13. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Skooooore! Poor sap indeed. :smug: