1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by homercaholic, Aug 21, 2007.

1. I just got back from New York working at a kids camp and now have about 2g's burning a hole in my pocket. I want to get a whole new setup, bass, amp, everything. Ive been searching around craigslist and found this listing..

http://halifax.craigslist.org/msg/380566391.html

Im wondering what you think of this? I know the ad doesnt say much so I emailed the seller at the craigslist email address to get some more info but from the limited info and pics what would your opinion be on this bass? Im not really sure what I should be looking for here.

2. bump cause the owner replied and said he could provide more info tonight when he is home from work. Just want to get your thoughts on it first from what you can tell.

3. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Hello from Upper Sackville!

I've never played a Soundgear but I understand that the brand covers everything from the crap entry level systems to the really nice ones, and the body shape is pretty much the same regardless. I think the higher the number, the better the bass, and if that's correct, $400 CDN should be a pretty good price - I see 100's and 200's being posted for about $150-250.

But of course, play it first!! If possible, using your own amp. That's the only way to know if it's for you, and worth what it's selling for.

4. Wow, didnt know anyone on the site lived so close to me! Small World :D

One big problem I have is I really dont have my on amp, I have a small little practice bedroom amp that barely works. I need to buy an entire new setup which is where most of my paycheck will be going to. I will of course play it before the owner now gets one penny but the problem im having is ive only played since last october and the 2 months at camp left me little time to play, so really I have only been playing for about 6 months. Im not really sure what to be looking for in this bass, other then does it feel nice in my hands.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Your best best IMO is to go on Ebay and search "completed auctions" for that exact model. It's not an uncommon model, so I bet you'll find a few completed auctions. They'll show you the "real market value", because the closing amounts are what people out there were willing to pay for that specific bass.

6. Hi, homercaholic.

Hard to tell from the pics, but comparing the bass in question to the ones in this site:

http://www.ibanezregister.com/ >old gallery > basses >SR

should give You an idea about the specs.

I have a SR800 something with Lo-Z:s, and it does feel nice with a superslim neck and smallish light body, but I'm not a fan of any active electronics so that bass don't get too much play time.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

7. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Feeling good in your hands is a good start! That's definitely a must. And there's no universal good or bad, just what feels right to you. Go ahead and use the other guy's amp, but if you can't play it through an amp don't bother with it until you can.

You might want to check out Musicstop again if you have already - they are as of last week in the process of lowering all their prices, so they are now in line with US dollars, with the new low exchange rate. A bass that I bought in the spring that they were listing for $449 then is now listing for $299 - the US$ price on the net is $279, which is $301 with the exchange. Seriously consider one of the Squier Vintage Modified bass, they're the ones that go for $299. Mine is the fretless one, but they also have a 70's Jazz bass, a 70's P bass, and a really neat Telecaster bass that feels great IMHO.

You might also check out kijiji.ca... I have a Frankenfender for sale there, but there are many available for sale on the local used market. There are also many amps to choose from there too that I've seen - big ones and small ones. Feel free to private message me if you need some advice! What's your total budget?

8. Thanks Bill and everyone else. I was at musicstop today in Bedford and they had a Squire modified there but I didnt get a chance to try it out, someone else had their hands on it for the time I was there. They also had pretty much no bass amps so im hoping to get into the Halifax Musicstop tomorrow and drop into Buckleys as well while im there.

My total budget as of right now is $2100 but I cant spend a dime of it yet until I get myself a job to get me though university, which will hopefully come tomorrow. So assuming I get the job tomorrow then $2100 is the budget.

I will have a look at the completed ebay auctions and see what their list prices are. I have seen a few other basses on the bay that have caught my eye so nothing is set in my mind yet.

Getting a new amp is the part that really scares me as I have even less knowledge of what is a good amp then I do of basses :D but we'll deal with one problem at a time.

9. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    $2100 is a lot! I strongly recommend that as you're not gigging (I assume) but just learning, you do not spend that much - pare your budget back to about $800 or so. Buy used as well, you can get some really good deals. Save your money for cars, beer and women, university is a good thing!

For the amp, I'd suggest around 100-200 watts. The Traynor Bassmaster 200's that are around are good amps, ugly as Hell, but good amps. They should sell for about $200-250, not $300 which is what people usually ask for them. You should also check out the Ampeg BA 115, which I usually see used for about $350 CDN, which is a fair price in this market, but it sells for about $350 US new on the Net and some places have free shipping. Yorkville is good too - same company as Traynor actually. Peavey is also good stuff. Anything else you should Google and research before committing to.

If you want to blow some more, then buy a Fender, Musicman, etc. if you can - at your stage, IMHO, a good bass is more important than a good amp. When you're gigging, it's kinda the reverse.

10. Yea I dont plan on spending all 2100 of it, its just what I have :D I plan on spending about 600-700 Max on a bass, something used and then not sure on the amp. I want to get something good, something bigger so that when I do decide to gig I dont have to go buy something then. My idea is to buy something bigger now and have it rather then spend 250 now and then have to spend 800 later, save myself the 250 dollar middle part. I also have some friends that I think im going to start to jam and play around with. Nothing big but its a start!

11. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Homer, here's a quick rundown. You are absolutely corect in that you want to buy something good now rather than later. At the same time you want to be smart and not over spend. I think for about a thousand you could get something that if you decide to gig, it would be perfect yet it's not so cheap that you'll want to upgrade in the future.

The bass in the picture is an Ibanez SR1000 which for $400 CND is a great deal! I started out with an SR400 which is a number of levels below the SR1000 and paid $400 USD for it. The SR1000 is an active bass which will give you a nice full tone. I've played the bass a couple times and like it a lot. I don't think you'll be disapointed. Only thing is Ibanez instruments don't hold their values very well. In your situation I don't think it matters because the price is already rock bottom.

If you're looking for a good bass that will hold it's value better, get a USA Fender Precision or Jazz. Those will run about $600-$700 used. I can almost gurantee that as long as you take good care of it, 5 years down the line you'll still be able to get $600-$700 out of it. USA Fenders are industry standard so you won't be disappointed.

As far as amps go, I would recommend the Ampeg BA-112 or BA-115. The BA-112 will run about $300 new ($200-$250 used) and the BA-115 will run about $350 new ($250-$300 used). Both amps are gig-able.

Hope that helps.

12. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm back! :)

Your prices are US market prices, not quite the same as the CDN used equipment prices.

Homer, check out the Musicstop in Dartmouth, they have finished adjusting their prices. Not sure about Bedford, but Halifax has not yet, I was in there today.

Halifax has a used Ampeg B2RE for a little over $400 and a 4 Ohm Ampeg 410 cab for a little under $500, so for $900 you get 350 watts of Ampeg heaven. I wish I had your budget, I'd buy it myself!

PS, it won't last, so if you're at all interested I definitely recommend you check it out ASAP.

13. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Hi again Homer - check out this posting:

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...-400W-Bass-Head-and-Cabinet-W0QQAdIdZ20964012

I know the guy who is selling this, I bought my Peavey head from him. Great guy, takes awesome care of his gear, and he's only owned this SD head for a little while. He plays guitar and bass both, and is going to instead be using a preamp with a power amp, so he can use the same rig for both instruments.

The SD head has some great reviews - do a search on TB and Harmony Central - it's old, but a definite well built classic, and for the tone and the power you get with this, $350 CDN is a steal. I might be buying the 1x15 cab though, so first come first served! :)

14. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    That bass not in great condition really. It's been rusting away. I would be concerned about the state of the electronics and pickups.

I'm sure you could get better deals for $400.

15. Thanks. The owner of the bass hasnt gotten back to me again so im assuming that nothing is going to come from it.

Those deals look great bill but until I get a job then my money cant go anywhere...which is kind of a bummer. Hopefully one comes soon! Im dying here! :D

16. procorat

procorat

Aug 24, 2007
    Hi Homeraholic - There are some great deals on Yamaha basses now at MS - I was in New Minas and they had a 5 str for 400 - played like a Musicman - it was returned "used" - but a great buy.

I am the guy with the Seymour Duncan head Bill mentioned - I still have it for sale. You should check it out - it really is an awesome amp with loads of balls and basic options. I have been using it in a rock cover band - now I will be traveling and need something lighter and more flexible (I need to do guitar, acoustic, bass, vocals, etc. at different times in different venues) and portable. The days of carrying dedicated gear for these different tasks is unfortunately (?) behind me. Let me know if you are interested "knowbase_at_ns.sympatico.ca"

17. Ibanez Soundgear - GREAT playability - one of the fastest necks in the business...but then you have to wonder why they cancelled some of the products in the line (maybe the line altogether...since I don't follow Ibanez anymore).

IMHO, the electronics, um....:ninja: SUCK!!!

I took my (at the time) top of the line 5 string to a recording studio for our group's first CD, and the engineer asked me what was wrong with my bass - the volume kept disappearing in the higher strings. Had to ship it back to have it fixed, and they included new pots in the deal. Finally sold it for $300 to a TBer who what going to mod it out.

Long opinion short - stay away from any SoundGear product. If you like Ibanez, try the BTB series.

18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    2 grand, how much of this were you gonna spend on a rig? If you were spending 1500, I'd go about 750 on bass and 750 on amp (used gk and a decent 410 or something). I personally think that Ibanez is decent, but if you are really into playing go for a step up.

19. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Hey, you changed your pic! I really liked the Geddy-on-shrooms one, made me laugh everytime I saw it. :)

Like I said before, from what I have heard (never played) the Ibanez SR's vary a lot from model to model - a SR100-400 for example may have electronics that "suck" as TB Player said, but from what I hear the higher the model number, the better the parts. So, like, the SR100 may be around par with an SX or a Squier Affinity, and the 400 with an older USA-made Peavey, and a 1000 with a MIA Fender. Don't some of these even have Bartolini's? Maybe I'm wrong - it's been known to happen! :)

20. I plan on spending around 1500 on a new setup, going with all used gear I imagine. Im going to make a trip into the musicstop in Halifax today (for those not from here, its a bigger music store) to check out their selection but once again its just to try, still no call back for my job :(

I think the deal from the craigslist link is dead, no reply yet and on further consideration and looking at the pictures closer it does look to be in shoddy shape. I played an SRX595 at a music store about 2 months ago and loved the feel, but I also love the feel of a Fender as well so we'll have to see what the best deal to come along is. The shotty electronics has me a bit nervous as If i buy one it would have to be quality all around, I have no experience or desire to do my own mods :D The new SR's have bartolini's according to the ibanez site, not sure about the older ones.

procorat I have your add bookmarked and am keeping it in my mind, but like mentioned above until I can have some money coming in, i cant shell any out just yet. But im not giving up hope yet.