Craigslist Comes to Talkbass?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by jazz5757, Aug 5, 2021.

1. jazz5757

jazz5757 Supporting Member

May 23, 2003
    St. Louis, Missouri
    So, I currently have several basses for sale on TB.

I get hit up this afternoon with an inquiry about one of them. All "she" asked was "what's the story on this bass" in a PM entitled "That Pretty Bass". No specifics. It's 3 years old so not much of a story to tell. I was kind of abrupt initially and then (feeling bad) came back and passed along what I knew.

Now, I'm sure there are women on TB but I've never met or seen one. Looking closely, I see that she just joined TB today.

In her next reply she advises that she lives in the, ahem, Cayman Islands, and will contact a freight forwarder in Miami about shipment.

All this sounds familiar to experiences I've had on CL. Vague. They live god knows where but will arrange to have "the item" picked up.

Anyone else on TB run into anything like this?

TNCreature likes this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Maybe I'm just an bitter old cynic, but that screams 'scam' to me.
    Proceed with caution.

Not that there aren't women on here...in fact I know of several, and all seem like very decent people, if a bit strange.:D

Lobster11, R&B, Winslow and 2 others like this.
  3. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    not yet. thanks for the heads up.

jazz5757 likes this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Scammers will find you anywhere. For the record, I am a woman.

Lobster11, Timmy Liam, R&B and 8 others like this.
  5. jazz5757

May 23, 2003
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I'm generally a trusting soul...but when I heard that she was in the Cayman Islands giant cannons went off!

R&B likes this.
  6. jazz5757

May 23, 2003
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Nice to finally meet one and I've been here since 2003! Nothing hotter than a female bassist...hopefully that is not sexist!

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I am not saying it is a scam, but be careful. My recollection of how the scam works: They pay you with a fake/counterfeit money equivalent, such as a money order or cashiers check. A fake courier brings the fake payment and delivers it by hand. To make matters worse, the buyer intentionally overpays and then when you bring it up, you are asked to give the difference to the fake courier (this is actually how the courier is compensated). The idea is you deposit the money order or cashiers check, and your bank does not discover the fraud for multiple days. So you loose the bass, the change, and also may have to pay a penalty to your bank.

R&B likes this.
  8. jazz5757

May 23, 2003
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Definitely exercising extreme caution. But yes, that's my understanding of how the scam works.

True story: I lost $3500 on a vintage p bass about 15 years ago. The guy was in Ireland. He copied a photo off a bass in a Dublin music store. I actually spoke with the police and they said they would charge him but I would have to appear in court. Given the costs of flying to Ireland and the fact that I could be waiting god-knows-how-long to get paid even if I got a verdict I just chalked it up to an expensive lesson...but it still haunts me from time to time.

9. jeffb28451

jeffb28451

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    If it’s not a scam, it’s just like the oldest scam known to the net. Just saying.

10. jazz5757

May 23, 2003
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Yeah, it's like LBS-bass said, scammers will find you everywhere...TB has no immunity, sadly.

11. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Tell them that you have a friend in the Cayman Islands and that you'll ship it to your friend and she can pick it up from him with cash. You'll never here from "her" again.

12. jazz5757

May 23, 2003
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Brilliant!

13. Mark 63

Mark 63 Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
    For what it’s worth, I once sold a bass body to a TB guy in South America and shipped it to a freight consolidator in Florida (maybe Miami). It was a straight up deal. So that part can be legit.

jazz5757 likes this.
  14. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Not to derail but I experienced a TB based scam recently. Well - attempted scam. I have a post in the Wanted To Buy classifieds. A person contacted me saying he has what I am looking for and gave me a fair market price. Not cheap; not expensive. He went on to say if I wanted the item to contact him at an e-mail he provided. I googled the e-mail address and came up with hits describing other forum users from a wide variety of forums having been scammed by this person in a similar manner as he approached me. I left it go and after a while his PM to me disappeared. I'm guessing he was banished from TB.

jazz5757 likes this.
  15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If I get even the slightest feeling its a scam, I don't do it. This sounds like a scam. I wouldn't do it.

If I were desperate, at the very least I'd want to talk with the person - preferably with a video call. A short discussion on pickups or even just WHY they're specifically interested in what I'm selling will give me a good idea of what's real and what isn't. If my antennae have been raised and they won't do that, there's no way its happening.

16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    SCAM!

17. jazz5757

May 23, 2003
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Agree 100% Always trust your gut. My gut says stay far away...

Joe Nerve likes this.
  18. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for? Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    Run!

jazz5757 likes this.
  19. mcrawfordmusic

mcrawfordmusic

Dec 11, 2010
    Australia
    It's a scam.

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yikes! Ignore.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021