1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist find, worth snatching?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tired_Thumb, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/1105867304.html

I'm looking for something to possibly replace my current setup into something more condensed into one package. I already run a Peavey 115BX BW and an old Yamaha 2x8 PA monitor as my main setup, but I might be able to sell that setup, take this cab, and save myself a trip on load-ins. I run quite a bit of amp modelling out of my Pod X3 Live, so if I could use it with my guitar and guitar amp models without sounding too off, that'd be fantastic, but at the price, I'm not expecting a king's ransom for peanuts.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

2. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    If I remember right, those cabs sounded pretty good.

Offer $100.

3. DAMN!I haven't seen one of those in years!If I remember correctly,those sounded pretty damn good,esp.for the money.

4. Looks like a nice cab to try for $100. The Carvin 15" speaker should sound ok. The 8's might be old/tired/dry/etc though. Swapping them for a pair of high powered modern 8's would really bring this cab alive.

5. As I recall that cabinet is very tight sounding especially for an older Peavey cabinet. While the size of the cabinet is quite compact, the weight is anything but. That said, it's on casters.

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    heavy - u may barf trying to move it, but it should sound good.

7. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    A buddy had one. It was a really nice sounding cabinet, and should serve you well. I would think an offer of $100 is a good starting place, but at up to say $175 it is a pretty good deal.

8. I had one. It sounded OK biamped once I found the sweet spot, but sucked full-range.

9. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

GOSH DARNIT AND ALL BLASPHEMIES BE LAID UPON THE CREST OF THE EARTH!!@@!!! The guy never contacted me back, and I didn't even give him the $100 offer yet. Oh well, there's one of these sitting at a Music-Go-Round locally with the 15 BW still in but it's missing its eighters. I could always get that one and throw in a couple of my own eights, but maybe I should let my money sit for now.

Okay, part two of this adventure: http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/msg/1107907241.html

I'm on the same budget, and I'm looking at those PA speakers. but I've noticed that 100W on vintage gear can get pretty loud. Those two Sunn 4S's may turn out to be an ultra cheap rig of doom with my poweramp. Any other advice?

[ps: thanks to all who've responded previously. Though I'm not getting that cab right now, you're responses were invaluable :bassist: ]