1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist Scammer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lfmn16, Mar 13, 2019 at 8:02 AM.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'm selling a Gretsch 6120 on Craigslist and about an hour after I post it,

I get this message: it is looking good.i want to buy it.text me to [redacted].if it is still available.

I text back: It’s still available, where are you located?

I get this back: Your message went to my Junk.What is your best price for it.Im buying for a friend and out of town for cash.Do you accept cashiers check?My mover will come for the inspectation and pick up after the check is cleared and cashed.Provide your contact number,name and address for the mailing of the check if that works for you

I text back: Thanks for getting back to me. My best price is $1400. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience, but I only accept cash.

I get this back: Only check work and you will get it cashed before the pick up

I text back: Thanks for your interest but I’ll pass.

I'm assuming that the cashiers check is phony and when it's discovered my bank will hit me for the $1,400.

Anybody see this scam before?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yes. Add in the suspect language, and the fact they are sending a "mover" to pick up a 10 pound object.

Someone overseas is sending the identical message to every listing on CL.

MVE, Admiral Akbar, Chrisk-K and 21 others like this.
  3. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Yeah, I've seen that one before. The check will indeed be fake.

This. If it even works on one person, they've had a good day's work.

4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The only thing missing is that the check should be for $2000 and you give the "mover" the overgae back in cash.

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I thought I was special!!! :D

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Yep---saw it before.

On the rare occasions I've used CL, I always put in the disclaimer : "CASH ONLY. If you don't understand what this means, don't bother responding. All non-cash offers will be ignored."

It's worked for me.

7. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I get that message or similar every time I post a new ad...I just dont reply to them...any time I get a message that doesn't mention the exact item I just ignore it.
    Rock on.

Dubsly, taught, tedsalt and 6 others like this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This kind of stuff fascinates me. What's the goal here? Your name and address is scam fodder but what happens with the cashier's check? Is the mark supposed to actually cash it? How does that part work out for them? Where's the profit?

9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    As I understand it, I take it to my bank, who automatically cashes it based on my having an account with them and the scammer gets my guitar. When the bank sends it to the place it was supposedly issued by, they find out it's a fake and then take the money out of my account. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The scammer is hoping the sellers bank will cash the fake cashiers check. Sometimes the tellers can be fooled, and it’s not caught until the check gets sent to processing where it gets kicked back and that deposit transaction will be ultimately backed out of the customers account unfortunately.

Gorn and Clark Dark like this.
  11. Mata Leao

Mata Leao

Dec 21, 2017
    Here is how this scam works.
    It's pretty simple really.
    You're selling your bass for $1400, but his "secretary" screws up and sends a check for $2400. No problem, you just go right ahead and cash the check and send him the $1000 error.
    Now you're responsible for cashing a bad check at your bank.
    Saw it happen when a friend was selling a mountain bike. Luckily he was suspicious.

Mantis Tobaggan, LBS-bass and lfmn16 like this.
  12. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Hahaha, the scammers seem to only like electronics and music equipment. For instance I put an ad on CL for my Yaesu and a classic Cobra and received those b.s. responses.
    I didn't get those responses when I put a stove and dishwasher and washer and dryer up for sale, things that you would actually need a mover for.

J_Bass, rmayer, Ellery and 2 others like this.
  13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I had a long talk with a banker about check processing and fraud. There is no official all’s good cutoff time. So given that, and depending on the details of the fake check, after all supposedly seemed okay, an uncovered fraud may take weeks or months to be revealed before you get bit and the amount backed out of your account.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 1:18 PM
  14. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    My version is similar. I was selling a "loaded" bassists pedalboard. Was made of a few different pedals I wasn't using any longer along with a pedalboard I was no loner using... You get the idea. Was hoping for a quick local sale.

I received a text message expressing interest and It looked pretty promising. I became suspect when the texter began with the "grooming" behavior. The substance of the messages were geared toward establishing the texter as a good person/fellow musician. All designed to direct attention away from the red flags, which were:

Not able to get the pedalboard himself.
    There was a "representative" that was going to pick up the "item" via private courier service
    The texter promised a certified check overnight, which turned out to be a business check from some company in Florida that arrived via normal postal service.
    The amount on the check was for way more than I was asking. - I was told that there were several items being picked up vial private courier and that I should cash the check, keep my portion and give the balance to the person who retrieves the item. [EDIT] I think he started calling it the "item" because of losing track of what was being (attempting to be) purchased.

I took the check to my bank and asked about it. I knew it was a scam, but was curious about what kind. Turns out that my banker was kind enough to take a minute and explain how this works. Apparently this is pretty common. Interestingly enough, I was told that these are most often out of Nigeria.
    I didn't do this, but, what would have happened is that the check would have been deposited and the cash in the amount of the check would have been provided to me out of the money already in my account. The banks estimation was that the check was probably made up from a legit account. Apparently thieves will break into a business, take little or even nothing, but instead just steal a photo of a check. They then use the info to order more checks and use the checks for stuff like this. In all likelihood the bogus check would have been discovered when the business reconciled their books... So, when that happened I would have been responsible to pay back the amount, and (per my bank's policy) had my account closed.

So beware. I get several of these types of texts every time I CL something worth more than $100.

For your entertainment:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiAn9q1q__gAhVYip4KHcCpCc8QyCkwAHoECAUQBA&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ&usg=AOvVaw084CUQc54UMyyOkTBTnT4A

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 11:04 AM
  15. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Is it still available is classic scammer lingo. I usually ignore anything that starts with that.

I had a TB user try and pull basically the same thing on me BTW. Cash only for local pickup, always. Every other method, including electronic payment services, leaves you vulnerable as the seller.

16. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    That's not right. Of the numerous items I've sold on Craigslist, 90% of the buyers first asked "is this still available". I would have lost a lot of sales taking your position.

17. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    For me, it's been mostly the opposite. It could be the area or something. A lot of listings here say "don't ask if the item is still available" or say "if the post is up the item is available."

18. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Apparently this is a common enough thing that it's example #2 in their 'about | scams' section.

craigslist | about | scams

I had it happen to me also but fortunately recognized it for what it was before doing any business with the scammer.

Pork_Chop likes this.
  19. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Yup, a scam. Amazing people still fall for this crap.

20. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    As a pet sitter, I also get hit up with a specialized version of this scam if I place an ad for my services on Craigslist. Every single time, dozens of them. They're easy to spot once you have seen a few. The language they use is the giveaway, there's always something a little "off" with what they propose, overly formal, and they're always using a similar script. I ask them where they are located, because my services are local, and they can never tell me, because they don't know anything about the area I live in. Then I tell them I'm reporting their contact information to the FBI, which you can do. That usually shuts them up.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    MynameisMe, BassGeekJack and lfmn16 like this.