1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist Scammer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lfmn16, Mar 13, 2019 at 8:02 AM.

1. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    This is why I don't sell on CL anymore. Besides the never ending "Is it still for sale?" And then NOTHING. The ridiculous low ball offers, people setting up meetings and never showing, or showing and offering $100 less that the price you agreed on. And, scams like this, a friend of mine got burned. Now if you'll excuse me, there's a Nigerian Prince that wants to send me $2.5 million.

2. rodv66

rodv66

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    Been doing better with Facebook market place

MynameisMe likes this.
  3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yep dead giveaway. Whenever I respond to an ad I always make sure to reference the item by name. I do ask "is it still available" but that is only because lots of people ive encountered forget to take down an ad after something sells.

Altitude likes this.
  4. A few of these scams must actually pay off for the scammer or they would not be trying. 1 in 100 maybe? Might be easier to work for a living.

5. Ironbar

Ironbar

Aug 24, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Dude, I think the scammers have some sort of computer program that alerts them to every new posting on craigslist. I got the same thing recently when I posted a kitchen hutch for sale.

lfmn16 and mrcbass like this.
  6. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Not sure about venmo but with PayPal if you don't ship the item you can be scammed this way. Theres no seller protection for local pickup so a buyer could open a dispute saying they never purchased a bass and someone used their account. You could be on the hook for the money and without a bass.

BassGeekJack and lfmn16 like this.
  7. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    :spit::rage::mad:""Do you accept cashiers check?"":sour:

I've gotten the same thing with stuff I was trying to sell...Even tried giving me more money for the item.....This is a classic laundering scheme!.......... I've also seen ad's looking for musicians to jam or form a band, that have been scams as well....Because I keep seeing the same ad every month, worded exactly the same

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  8. Pretty common. I'm selling off a bunch of household items on CL at the moment, and the scammers are phishing through my ads and sending similar messages.

As soon as I see the combination of "I'm buying this for someone else" and "cheque/check/money order" I know what's up and terminate the conversation.

9. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I had a guy recently want to meet up to buy a cab from me but insisted on paying via Paypal gift (to me). I tried asking him why he doesn't just pay me cash or withdraw his Paypal balance, but he was just like "I have a Paypal balance I want to use." I said, ok, but I want a copy of your license then and he replied one last time saying he does this all the time and doesn't understand why i'm being weird. My suspicion is that he has someone else's Paypal info, but who knows.

10. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Seems weird that a bank, with whom you put your trust to, you know, discover fraud, can have a policy where they just cash checks willy nilly without checking beforehand, because they know if they ever make a mistake, they can take the money out of a poor depositer's account. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. I'd for sure make the bank eat that mistake.

11. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    If you cash a bad check, you get hit with repayment charges, not the bank. the scammer gets your item, and you pay for it.

12. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    OK, so we know what the scammers are up to, usually, and don't fall for it, because we read Talkbass.

Does anybody have any ideas about how to make trouble for them? Something legal I mean.

Tom

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I wonder what their success rates are with something like this. There are a lot of really stupid people out there. 1 out of 10 maybe?

SactoBass likes this.
  14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    It’s a bit more complicated than that. If a fraudster cut a fraudulent check from your company, you’d want the funds put back in your company’s account once it was discovered, right?

15. darthweasel

darthweasel

Nov 8, 2016
    I might be one of the stupid ones, a couple of times I have sent something along the lines of "If it is still available I would like to purchase it but I am out of town until Saturday."

My reasoning was A) wanted to know if it was available, B) I wanted it and C) I could not get there until Saturday.

Once they were able to wait I bought it and we all lived happily ever after. More often I never hear back. Now I know why...I am dumb in how I phrase it.

Side note: the one that waited sold me a gorgeous mandolin. Unfortunately, when I went to get it set up to be a bit more playable from the neighbor across the street who says he used to Luthier for the Everly Brothers...he said it was internally collapsed and not playable so I really must be dumb to have suckered for that. Still a beautiful instrument though

16. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Yup!

17. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Tell them you'll take the check, but you will hold the item for one month. The check will bounce way sooner.

18. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Ohhhhh yeah. That scam has been around for many years.

19. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Also, a dead giveaway of that scam is, they never say what the item actually is. They just call it "it" or "the item." That's because they are sending out thousands of copies of the same message, hoping that someone will take the bait.

lfmn16 likes this.
  20. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Yes. Never enter into any 3rd party transactions. Rule one. Rule 2, cash only. No checks, debit cards or even PayPal. You can rest assured this was a scam, and needs to be turned over to the authorities.