1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist Scammer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lfmn16, Mar 13, 2019 at 8:02 AM.

1. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Well, as George Carlin put it, if you look at the average intelligence of the human race (which is rather pathetic to begin with), and then realize that half the people on this planet are dumber than that, it's no surprise that scammers thrive!

mikeyjm2, Chrisk-K and NoSlapForYou like this.
  2. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Thankfully, bass players are not in the below average group.

SactoBass likes this.
  3. SactoBass

[​IMG]

gln1955 likes this.
  4. Yes, fairly often!
    I do what you did, Cash and face to face only!
    Good job stopping that garbage!
    :thumbsup:

lfmn16 likes this.
  5. I mean who the heck has a "mover"?????

6. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This happens on every musical ad posted on CL. I just tell them CASH every time they send me a message.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  7. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Well sure. Are you assuming that the cashier's check is cashed, cash given from the bank to the seller/mark, the bank then goes to the institution that cashier's check says its from, gets money from the institution, then the institution figures out the fraud and gets the money back from the bank, so the bank takes the money from the seller/mark?

In that scenario, I still think the party most responsible for discovering the fraud BEFORE and money changes hand is the bank. I'm not expert in fraud. I can't tell a good cashiers check from a bad one. If I give one to the bank and the bank says "sure, looks good; here's $1,500," that's on the BANK, not me. If they come back looking for that $1,500, I'd tell them to go pound sound; they had more knowledge than I do about what a fraudulent cashiers check looks like, and rather than taking the time to check properly, gave me the money right away.

I guess the problem is how the bank knows that the seller/mark was had rather than the fraudster to begin with. But still; if a bank cashes a cashier's check and gives me a pile of cash, I'm not going to be happy when they come back looking for that cash in a month saying, "whoops, we screwed up, we never should have given that to you."

8. I've sold a lot on the CL and once had a guy say he was buying the bass for his "student"! Flag #1 and he didn't seem to know much about basses Flag #2.
    I stuck to my cash only and Face to Face! He showed up at my work business (safer central location) and brought the "student"! She was a young attractive gal that could really play the bass! He was a guitar player who also taught bass! Sold!!! USA cash on the barrel (she paid by the way).
    Go figure! Not all flags are red.
    :woot:

Chrisk-K likes this.
  9. I mess with them... but they clone the title of your craigslist ad... so if you Post "cool stuff"... they will say I want to by your cool stuff.

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    You make a great case for better consumer protection laws.

Greyvagabond likes this.
  11. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Yup. Happened to me. I didn't fall for it either. The offer suspicious so I googled it to confirm it was a scam.

12. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Every time I tried to sell something for several years. I can't believe they're still trying it.

OTOH, I'm still amazed at all the scam emails from Africa that promise wealth if you will just help them essentially launder money. All they need is your bank account info. I mean, come ON.

SactoBass likes this.
  13. bbh

bbh

Sep 27, 2011
    Textbook scammer.

14. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

One of the older scams I've seen on CL. When they want to send a courier or whatever, I say "As long a you bring ca$h, I have no problem with that."
    The check thing has been around the block a few times too. I use CL to buy and sell and I've seen them all. (and I like to mess with scammers too)

15. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Check this out Ebola Monkey Man: Nigerian 419 Scam

NSFW... you have been warned...

16. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Back in the good old days the scammer would actually send the check via overnight courier. I guess enough people got wise to the scam and turned the tables. The 'victim' would give the scammer a bogus address to overnight the check to. Now the scam just cost the perp $40 in expedited delivery fees. FedEx won't refund you if you are too stupid to use the correct address. Of course he has no actual info on the victim, so the scammer is now the victim with no real way to retaliate.

Nowdays I guess they settle for less expensive snail mail.

tr4252 likes this.
  17. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Many many times:cool:

18. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I’ve lived such a sheltered life!

MegaSwing and EatS1stBassist like this.
  19. SactoBass

W-w-w-whoa!!! Wait a sec.......hold on there.....

Ya mean that Nigerian Prince who e-mailed me out of the blue and told me what an honorable fellow I am isn't really going to send me $25 million USD??? :jawdrop:

20. doug calkin

doug calkin

Jan 27, 2019
    Yeah, i've gotten a variety of this theme over the years, I don't reply, mark as spam, sometimes I'll get texts to. Anything that says "My mover", or "Cashier's check" in it.