1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist Scammer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lfmn16, Mar 13, 2019 at 8:02 AM.

1. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    SactoBass wrote;

"W-w-w-whoa!!! Wait a sec.......hold on there.....

Ya mean that Nigerian Prince who e-mailed me out of the blue and told me what an honorable fellow I am isn't really going to send me $25 million USD??"

Don't worry. Any day now.

Tom

2. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Almost every time I list something, I get that message.

Offer Up has the "My step dad really wants this. Please send pictures to #+$!_@gmail."

Urgh.

3. Rugmaster

Rugmaster

Dec 6, 2012
    I get a reply like that usually every time I try and sell something, and they usually say if I go through with it that they'll pay me extra money.

4. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I ran into this frequently when I was a freelance interpreter. Someone would offer to “hire” me for a three-day assignment and pay me in advance via cashier’s check, usually for a thousand or so more than my standard rate. Then they would ask me to cash the check and send them the over-pay. I never fell for it, but I had colleagues who did.

It’s the same scam.

Coolhandjjl and EatS1stBassist like this.
  5. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Scam........yyyyyyyyyyyyyep!

Also one of the textbook examples of how to launder money in the post 9/11 world.

6. You are, but not because of this ad.

lfmn16 likes this.
  7. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Don’t trust anybody who doesn’t put spaces after periods.

mikeyjm2, MegaSwing and lfmn16 like this.
  8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    virtually every listing i post on CL gets at least one "is it still available?" email, and it's usually from the person who ends up buying the bass, camera, amp or whatever it is.

btw, my CL listings all include this text:

Cash only - sorry, no checks or trades.

but i hear from people with these stupid stories about why they'll give me a money order, check or pay via paypal at least once per listing. they're almost always out of town, usually claim to be picking it up for a friend.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 6:22 AM
    EatS1stBassist likes this.
  9. Completed forgot that Craigslist still exists.

10. Dana R Gregory

Dana R Gregory Supporting Member

May 12, 2014
    Deland, Florida
    I had one of these jerks try to scam me when I sold a button accordion several years ago. I knew right away it was a scam but played it out with the intent of turning over all the info to the FBI. The scammer will send you a check for way more than the price of the item you are selling. Then they tell you to cash the check and wire the difference to a pre selected address. The jerk who tried to scam me sent me a check drawn on a company from Arizona. It was Fedexed from Ohio and the funds were to be wired to an address in Georgia. I shredded the check, emailed them back and told them I was wise to their scam. They responded with a demand for the money to which I advised them that the FBI was looking for them. They never bothered me again. I flagged their email as a scam and then called the FBI who told me to call Secret Service, which I did. Secret Service told me that the scammer was probably from Nigeria, China or Eastern Europe. Don't know if they ever followed up as I never lost anything. Now when I post on Craigslist, I will only accept phone messages. I will not respond to email. :D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 7:15 AM
  11. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Yes, but I never get that far into it. I summarily and cordially reject anything involving less than a face-to-face meeting and cash-in-hand. No shippers, intermediaries, checks or money orders of any kind, no Nigerian royalty. And they ALWAYS disappear.

However, I have made an exception for a PayPal transaction during a person-to-person meeting with a well-qualified customer.

P.S.
    At some point the other party and I must exchange mobile numbers. I’m never going out to meet a strange buyer or seller without a way to communicate in the moment.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 7:21 AM
  12. Swingin

Swingin Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2018
    I just remembered that I actually did sell to a guy once from Slovenia who needed me to send it to a “friend” in Florida. So much of it seemed sketchy, but the guy turned out to be legit.

13. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I pretty much get this one every time I post something to CL. I've stopped including any phone info because if I do I get texts with this **** in it.

14. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    That’s an old scam and still very popular.

15. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    The crazy part about these old scams is that they’re still running them, so they must still be getting some small percentage of people to participate. I just can’t fathom that.

16. TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jun 6, 2015
    Austin
    I got the same inquiry when selling my Ibanez 5 string. I recognized the scam right away and ignored it.

My son, however, was not so savvy. He was selling his trumpet on eBay and got a similar request. He gave the guy his cellphone number and was texting back n forth with him. He negotiated a deal to close down the auction and sell him the trumpet outside of eBay. The buyer said he would send his handler to our house to pick up the trumpet. My son gave him our address. <ugh!!>

The guy fedex'd a check to my son. That's when I found out about it. The check was for twice the amount and my son came to me innocently asking what should he do. <ugh>

The cellphone was from Maryland, the fedex package came from Seattle, the check was drawn on the account of a small construction company in Idaho.

I took my son's phone and texted the scammer back. I told him I knew the check was fake and if he sent anyone to my house that person would be shot. (I might have mentioned this is Texas - LoL) Never heard from the guy again.

I was pretty upset with my son. More like frustrated that he didn't know about these scammers. Needless to say, my son does not sell anything on eBay anymore.

Hey, anyone want a trumpet? How about an Ibanez 5 stringer?

17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Sure, I'll Fedex you a check and my handler will be by to pick it up. :D

18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Your son learned an important life lesson. The world is full of bastiges who will rip you off any way they can.

19. After a couple successful CL deals, the last two have been failures, all kinds of Western Union, $1000 over and send the overage, cashier's check BS. Low ballers aside, I was just glad that CL doesn't charge for the unsuccessful auctions.

lfmn16 likes this.
  20. ToneMaven

ToneMaven

Dec 22, 2018
    I listed an amp on Craigslist about an hour ago and just received this email:

"I want to buy it. Is it Still available for purchase or already sold? If it is sitill available, and you still want to sold it, please contact to my personal email marialoyd96@gmail.com thank you".

This is a perfect example of a scam in the making. Note the lack of reference to the actual item. Instead they refer to the item as "it". Note the mis-spelled words and typos. Note that they want me to leave the Craigslist email relay system(which hides your real email).

lfmn16 likes this.