1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist Scams in the DC area

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by _aflores_funk, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Recently I have seen many basses on sale by the same person, same phone number, name, and location. He always says he's selling because he has too many basses. It seems like this guy has well over 50 because I've seen at least 20-25 in the past month from the same guy. Is he gutting expensive basses and putting crap electronics in them? Is he just getting similar looking products and slapping labels on the headstock?
    I need your help guys, I don't wanna take a fall by buying from a scammer. I work too hard for my money.

Thanks! I'll post some links in a bit to see if you can help!

2. Then again, he might be a good honest guy. Not trying to troll, just tired of seeing his posts and not knowing if I can trust the info on there.

Thanks again!

3. Bump

4. I would say if he is offering up his name, phone number and offering to come and look at these basses i would say its legit. Call him!

5. Also looks like he is local-ish to you.

6. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Lol, are you interested in his stuff?

Have you tried to go over?

If not, why do you care?

Not being an ***, just recognizing the truth that there are alot of tire kickers on CL. I went and bought a Fender Duo Sonic from a guy last weekend and he talked about all the tire kickers, "I don't know why they are bugging me, just come over and check it out!" He said.

Some people sell in bulk. He might be a reseller. I highly doubt he's anything other than any average seller.

7. I might just be jealous of all the basses haha! I'm enjoying my one fender American deluxe jazz V but I'm GASsing for a P bass. You guys are probably right though. I'll try to pay him a visit soon.

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Yeah man, you trip'n. :D Get on over there and check out some of those basses.

9. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    He's got some sharp ones!

10. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    Looks like he might be buying and flipping them. For example, he likely got that AmSpec in the first link on sale when GC had their $699 sale, and working on trying to get a profit. No shame in that.

What might be of concern (though not too much) is that he's using a Canadian phone number. But he may be a transplant.. I used my DC based cell phone for almost a year when I came out to OK. Could simply be a college student. Shrug.

Either way he's got some nice stuff going on.