1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Craigslist USA Pbass 500$ - Deal or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LKdubby, Mar 5, 2008.

1. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    There's not a very high chance that I'll be able to get this bass so I don't mind sharing the link to it.. I'm wondering if it's authentic or not, or if there's something I should be looking out for considering the price it's being offered at.. I would obviously want to see it in person before purchasing though..

500$ for used Pbass: Here's the Link for it.

Opinions welcome! Thank you.

2. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Its tough to tell with a pic that bad. The only distinguiseable sign is the black bridge screws. Thats accurate. Theres nothing that makes me think thats not a real 2002 american fender p bass.

3. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    If its in good shape then I think that would def. be a deal. See it in person, is a must.

4. If the drive isn't far, go take a look at it. Check the headstock and serial number.

Looks like a sweet bass. I wonder why the price is so low.

5. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I did email the guy with some questions and an offer of payment method, but haven't heard anything back yet.. I'd definitely like to get my hands on the bass and feel it out tho...

Thanks for the quick replies! If anyone else has opinion to add then I'm still open for it!

6. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    See if the seller can/will also include the original pickup and pickguard, then you can put it back to stock condition if desired. But that black pearl pg is nice.

7. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    $500.00 for an American P, including case.............You really can't lose money, even if you do not like it and have to re-sell it:D! Original pickguard and pickup would be nice, but should not be a deal breaker at that price.............IMHO:smug:

8. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I haven't been able to determine what this specific bass should cost brand new... Can anyone tell me that info?

9. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    New standard American passive P basses have sold for about $1,000 MOL (more or less) for the last few years.

PS Be prepared to invest $69 in a genuine Fender pickup if you can't get the original pickup from the seller. Quarter Pounders are good for what they're good for, but they don't have the "classic" P bass sound. IMHO. But maybe that's what you want - some folks obviously like them!

10. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I got my USA P-Bass for about 550 a few months ago, with a case. Times is tough these days, bro. Dudes gotta sell stuff...quick! Either sell a bass or miss a house payment!

PS..it's very likely to find P-basses for this cheap these days. I got a Marshall JCM 900 guitar head for 450.

11. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Although maybe not the exact specs of a new one, they are listing around $1200 or better. I believe my 2006 P listed for $1100-something. Discount price will be less.

$500 is a pretty good deal if its authentic and in good shape. Get it before someone else snags it.

12. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't have known the pickups were not original. Is it obvious that they aren't? The pic is not super detailed, unfortunately.. That's definitely an important question to ask the seller though. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller.. Maybe they're at work..

Lol, maybe that's the true reason that it's being sold!

13. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    It just occured to me that you were pointing out the pickup as well, not just the pick guard..

So this pickup thing must be a factor in the lower cost of the bass..

I wish the seller would get back to me.. But even if he did I'd probably not know the right questions to ask..

14. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    He says right in the ad that a Quarter Pounder (Seymour Duncan) pickup has been installed. No biggie. As long as it wasn't a hack job installing it, which it probably wasn't since they fit just like the original, a genuine Fender P pickup can go right back in, or any other P Bass pickup. Or leave it like it is.

15. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    1. Do you still have the original pickup and pick guard?
    2. Will you include them with the bass?
    3. What's the serial number - can be found on the headstock?
    4. How soon can I see it and play it?
    5. Do I need to bring a small amp, or do you have an amp I can play it through?
    6. If I like it, will you take a $40 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit to hold it until I can get to the bank and get you the rest of the cash?

Go to this web site:

http://www.fender.com/support/usa_instruments.php

to make sure the serial number checks out. Then go see it, play it, put down the deposit and buy it if you like it.

If you don't know how to check the neck for straightness, I would recommend you go ask a friendly music store employee how to do that before you go look at the bass.

$500 for an American P bass is a really good deal assuming it's a legitimate American and it's not seriously beat up. A few scratches are more than OK for that price.

Good luck!

16. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yupp.. I'm blind.. I just read right past that part of the ad... But you're right, he does say it.. Thanks for helping me open my eyes!

Hypothetically speaking here: If he won't sell the bass with the original pickups or pickguard is it still a good deal? <- Anyone may answer that..

When you lay the questions out like that it seems obvious that those are the natural and correct questions to ask! Thanks! Lol

What I didn't know is that you can compare the serial number through a Fender site, so thanks for that link as well!

17. scottbass

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Yes, it's still a good deal with the Seymour Duncan pickup. Who knows, you might like it. I just looked it up, and a genuine replacement Fender vintage pickup only costs $69.99. And that bass would still be a good deal if you had $569.99 invested.

Here's the link to a reputable retailer selling the original Fender pickup:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Original-62-P-Bass-Pickup?sku=301602

18. Is it just my monitor, or does that look like a flat-black color. I thought only the Highway-1 Pbasses came in that flat finish (and the earlier models had a different bridge than the current one's). $500 is still a fair price, but not a smoking deal.

19. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    That sounds like some real experience talking? To know a basses history or model type based off the paint job is far above my head!! But it does raise a new side to the question on whether or not it's a good deal..

Reason I say that is because I only would want to spend 500+ dollars right now if I were getting a killer deal on a bass.. Otherwise I'd probably just prefer to spend around 200 bux for a cheap 4 string. (getting a 4 to pop'nSlap is my ultimate goal here..)

Just when I thought I'd try and let this topic die down after asking so many questions (some redundant), the topic is still basically open because of your observation!

20. Sorry about that.. hehehe... Didn't mean to open a whole new side of the debate. The finish just stuck out as strange to me.