Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

crane auditions....help!!!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by b0nes83, Jan 15, 2001.

1. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    hello..I am a senior in high school and i am auditioning on the double bass to get in to Crane/potsdam. They gave me some composers names- Marcello, Simandl, Capuzzi, Corelli, Vivaldi, Galliard, and Weinstein. I have to choose a piece from one of these composers. So could you please help me pick out a song that would blow the judges boots off, if you will, and also where could i get the music that you picked. Please help me out here, I really want to get into this school. thanks.
    Chad

2. I'm assuming by Capuzzi, they are talking about the Concerto, which is actually quite a good piece that isn't too difficult to make sound pretty good. It has some good thematic material that give yoy a lot to work with phrasing-wise. Many of the other composers you mentioned are baroque composers and those pieces tend to have a lot more notes per square inch which may be a little harder to get around if you aren't currently getting some solid instruction by a good teacher (which you really should be getting if you want to play any of these pieces well). The baroque stuff can be a lot of work and might not sound as flashy as some things.

Given what pieces you mentioned, I'd recommend the Capuzzi Concerto (first movement should be enough). It is available in two keys however. The more common version is in F major and is published by Boosey and Hawkes - however this version is not the original key. The version that has resurfaced lately is in D major (the original key) and is published by Yorke Editions. They seem to be equally difficult - some things are easier in one key, while other passages are more difficult.

3. I also vote for the Capuzzi in F. It sounds a lot harder than it is, and is almost Mozart-esque in style.the Marcello and Simandle are good, but a little bland for me.
    (By bland, I mean mechanical)The Vivaldis are very nice,but a lot of work. Like Rob said, a little hard to get around.
    You will be much more impressive playing an easier piece that you can play well than with a more difficult piece that you hack your way through.In addition, I recommend that you either play with an accompanist or get the John DeWitt accompaniement tape or CD for the Capuzzi.(It was an immense help to me)You can get them either from John or from Lemur Music.

4. Chad,

I have studied the capuzzi concerto for many years. My research on the composition has taken me all over Europe. If there is one piece that will "knock the socks" off an audition comittee, it is the Capuzzi concerto in F. Although the piece may not appear difficult, the musical nuances and the delicate phrasing make it a true masterwork for the contrabass. Any of the Marcello sonatas also are real show off pieces, they bring out the true color of the instrument. I reccomend picking up a recording of both of these works prior to your audition. Look for any recordings by Ivan Sztankov or Ubaldo Fioravanti and I'm sure you'll be pleased. Also, to hear some great bass playing, find a recording of Gerd Reinke....i had the pleasure of studying with him in Germany for the past 2 summers. Subsequently, he was recently conferred the title of "Berlin Virtuoso of Chamber Music" by the senate of Berlin!! Hope this info helps. Best of luck

Contrabasso Classico

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Capuzzi does not list in my Music History book or Music Dictionary. Any info on that composer ? Any other recommended recordings appart from previous suggestions ? Thnks.

6. Bassturbator

Bassturbator Guest

Jan 26, 2001
    Show-Low, AZ
    Sorry reedo35, anyone that thinks Capuzzi is anything like Mozart is a musical ingrate. The whole list is full of crap music by crap composers. Sorry Chad if there are members on the audition commitee who are not bass players, they will be bored to death by the music on the list. You should consider playing Piazzola's Grand Tango written for cello. It is about the same difficulty as Capuzzi. You are just going to have to read it an octave higher (at pitch). The end has a very exciting moment that will surely impress any commitee. I made my solo premier with this piece to a standing ovation.

Bassturbator

7. Well, (cough cough)Thank you for enlightening me, I've been called many things, but never an idiot. The reason that I said that it is Mozart-esque is that it was written in the same period, in Classical style. You are also pretty quick to dismiss all the others, which makes me wonder how you came to your conclusions.Your name seems to suggest that you do most of your playing alone in your room.

8. Yes, Vivaldi and Corelli are very well known for being "crap" composers!

Perhaps if you have a constructive suggestion, you should offer it in a less inflammatory manner. The way you have presented yourself has made you look like what you called reedo.

Do you think the audition committee is going to be so bored with the pieces that they themselves suggested?

And what exactly is a musical ingrate anyway? Perhaps you should consult a dictionary before you start name calling next time.

9. Vivaldi typically has more fire behind the music; more there to dramatize. The other composers are more-or-less less known for fiery attitudes in their music, so perhaps Vivaldi would be the choice for "impressing" a jury.

10. well hello every one! Glad to be part of this conversation! Audition juries are going to be glad to hear 1) musical ability(he has good ideas) 2) some sort of technical chop and C)he has put work into the display. Its an audition and performance. You also might want to get a piece that you will be able to keep for other performances. So my suggestion is to look through the pieces if you can get them, maybe play some of the melodic content and pick the one that bites you in the ear.

11. reedo35:
    Now you've done it.
    In a battle of wits, you shot an unarmed man.

12. Playing to your Mom doesn't count as a solo premier, and I doubt your Mom stands up for much of anything. If you were playing to a real audience, the audience getting up to run for the exit doesn't count as standing ovation.

13. Depending on your ability level, I would highly recommend you look at the Bach cello suites. There is a transcription for bass, which lies down a fifth. Some of them are very demanding technically. But some of the "minuets" are playable, even by intermediate players. But more importantly, they are perhaps the consummate musical study pieces. Edgar Meyer admits he "built" his technique with these pieces. Even if you can't quite play them yet, you will find a lifetime of music in these seeming innocent suites.

14. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    I forgot this thread was still on here. I am not at Crane now, I am at SCCC and loving it there. I played some vivaldi in the last 2 recitals and am not playing dragonettie concerto in A major this semester. Hopefully i will transfer to crane in the next year or so. peace
    Chad

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Glad to hear you weren't put off TalkBass, by one bad apple - did you ever find/get to play the Capuzzi concerto or do you just like the Vivavldi better?

16. Don't be so tough on Bassturbator. I've seen this kind of ranting before and it often stems from the insanity that comes with incredible ability.

Chances are, this guy is really a great player.

The god's cruel sense of humor.

Dave

17. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

I myself have an audition coming up at Crane and i just so happen to be doing the capuzzi concerto in F which I think is pretty rocking. But I need some other selections. I was thinking Faure's Apres un Reve, Bloch's Meditation or Rachmaninoff's (spelled right?) Vocalise. Which do you people think would be good for someone of moderate technique?
    Also somewhat on topic, which is probably better to go to SUNY Potsdam(Crane) or SUNY Fredonia?