Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crank um down

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nanook, Oct 6, 2000.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I recently tuned the strings on my graphite neck 4 string down to B E A D. Not new strings, just tuned them down, got it? They are chrome flatwounds and the axe has a 33" scale.

Suprise, it sounded damn good and the old E string, now tuned down to low B was relatively tight.

The only fret buz was on the newly tuned A string, which I can easily adjust.

I don't think much would be gained by adding an actual B string.

Any thoughts on this set up?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    This is actually quite common these days...as players want the low B, but not a 5 string bass. You might want to try it with a BEAD set of strings and see how it sounds.
    Also...they are some companies now putting out four string basses with the BEAD setup.

3. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Can this damage the neck at all?

4. nanook,

A long time I tuned my E string down to a B with similar results. It sounded good! Oh, and watch out where the huskies go... :D

Jennifer,

Using BEAD strings probably wouldn't hurt nanook's neck because it's graphite, but proceed with caution when using a good ol' fashioned chunk of wood. If it's not strong or reinforced enough it may not be pleased with the added tension. ;)

5. I recently strung my MIM P-Bass with 125 to 75s, but tuned to 440. I was simply looking for a bigger sound without haveing to get louder. I was concerned with what the neck would do. After playing it for a few weeks, I am completely thrilled. The neck is holding up fine. The only regret is that I had to take the nut down a little to allow the larger strings to sit properly.
    I have since done the same to my MIA P-Bass and am hooked for good. The nut didn't have to be tweaked at all and the intonation was much closer than on my other bass.
    Both basses are rocking now and my sound is getting more compliments than ever.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You might want to try it with a BEAD set of strings and see how it sounds.

I was thinking that too, but the nut is'nt fitted for a B string, Im thinking it may be too big for a nut fit for a E string, Ive never tried it so I really dont know, but that just seems to make sense to me.

7. If you look at a set of strings where the maker specifies tension, such as D'Addario Slowounds, you'll find the B string has much the same tension as the others, so the neck will not notice any difference. In fact, the D string is typically the one with the greatest tension.