1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cranked tubes overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jetofuj, Sep 18, 2008.

1. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Hi guys!

I'm looking for the sound of cranked tubes (Nick Olivieri from QOTSA would be the best example) hidden in the overdrive pedal. I was thinking of Tech 21 VT, Polish Love or Big Muff. I'm very fresh in these (read: effects) matters, so I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers, Kris

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Not many pedals can really replicate that sound, but a BJFE Blue Berry does, very much so. I have heard that the VT does a great power tube overdrive tone as well, but have not used one personally.

Polish Love definitely no (though it does do a nice light overdrive), and while I've never used a Big Muff, since it is a fuzz I'm going to assume that it gets nowhere close.

There are several other threads on this with many suggestions, although what irks me is that it seems a lot of people think that preamp tube distortion = power amp tube distortion, and that is not the case. You're looking for power amp tube distortion.

3. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    stock digitech bad monkey, a cheap experiment / investment and you would be surprised at the results

4. So that's the Holy Grail of stomp boxes you would be looking for?

Sorry man - I've been looking for that kind of sound in a pedal for years(and dropped a bit of cash too) - and you may get close with pedals - maybe damn close - but a cranked tube section can be pretty hard to replicate with silicon. I dropped the cash on a tube amp. 'Nuf said.

I've used a Sansamp BDDI for a few years - and that won't do it. It's not bad tho - genuinely worth a look.

Good Luck, smo

5. VT is as close as I've come in a pedal. Highly recommended.

6. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    From what I have read around here, Blueberry can nail that tone, and VT Bass might be able to as well.

7. Blueberry ftw. Best pedal I've ever purchased.

8. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    yeah you should be able to find one of these at any guitar shop, so just give it a try at the shop. I use one to get the sound but it is only light to mild overdrive no where near cranked.

9. I had an unmodded Bad Monkey and it just didn't do it for me. It was ok on the D and G strings, but did nothing that I could hear on the E or A, and definitely nothing on my B string. However I had it set pretty light and as always ymmv. :D

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I use a Greedtone overdrive which absolutely kills, but I'm sure there are a ton of boutique-type pedals out there that would float your boat. Try out some of the more common ones like the VT before you buy anything too expensive. I've heard good things about the blueberry as well.

11. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Thanks guys for your replays! Finally I've ordered VT pedal ;) I hope it will be it.

12. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Hello again!

I'm still thinking about Nick Olivieri's sound. I'm not sure if I described the whole thing right in my first post. Since the last few days I've gone through dozens of pedal's samples. I've heard Blueberry, Tone Breaker (which is good as it don't loose bass), Big Muffs, Mellowtone and Freakshoweffects fuzzes and many others. I realized that I'm not really looking for some grindy fuzz but very light overdrive. So maybe some boost pedal will be all right for me? I wonder also what effect I will gain by using Crybaby pedal - I mean playing with pedal switched on but without stepping it?

Cheers, Kris

13. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    i know it is kind of late in the game, but check out some of dave hall's stuff. i love my DHA VT1 pedal. I think it does the cranked ampeg thing very well. expensive, but worth checking out at least

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    EHX English Muffin, Sansamp pedals, and maybe a few others but you're looking to spend at least $125-ish for that sound in pedal form.

15. +1

Even when I am using a tube amp, I end up using my VT1-MK3 for OD half the time. The VT1 and a dimed gain knob on a tube amp will tear your head off :bassist:

16. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    If DHA pedals sound as good as they are ugly they must kill ;)

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ah, light overdrive. The sound that everyone wants, and everyone thinks they're the first person to ask about it. ;) "Is there any pedal that will get me that sort of slightly crunchy, warm, just breaking up sort of mild tube overdrive sound?" The answer is that there are literally hundreds of options, from the lowly DOD 250 all the way up to the Creation Labs, BJFE, and other $$ boutique options- with a whole lot of choices in between. First: search on "overdrive", or even a phrase (using the TB Google search) like "light overdrive" or "tube breakup" for a thousand threads on the subject. Second: let us know your actual budget and whether you are limited to a specific web store (like thomann.de) or a set of specific brands, or whether you are willing/able to order from a small company in the USA.
    A wah is a type of bandpass filter. If the wah is engaged, but you are not rocking it, then the sound is affected by the bandpass filter setting of wherever the treadle is positioned. Note that many wahs disengage if you are not stepping on them.

18. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i'm not sure if coreyfyfe will agree since he's tried one of these beauties as well...but i think my b sharp music malazadas pedal can cop that cranked tube overdrive sound.

19. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I've looked for and checked (I mean samples) dozen of boost/overdrive pedals. Most of them are designed for electric guitars and the samples are of course recorded with guitars, so it's quite hard to imagine how different pedals go with bass. That is way I'm talking about Nick Olivieri (especially on Songs For The Deaf) to give you an example what overdrive I'm looking for.

I'm rather not limited in any way, including US made butique stuff. I like the Mellowtone and Catalinbread pedals very much, but I'm not sure about "them + bass". I think that previously mentioned DHA pedals are great option, as they are valve ones.

Cheers, Kris

20. :cool: You are right! I had the luck of finding one used :bassist:

Check out the DHA- UK-site for samples, but yes, new they are a bit expensive (and they aren't real lookers :D)