1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cranking, but avoiding distortion in a smaller amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheBassBetween, Aug 7, 2007.

1. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    So, I was jamming with my friend the other day, on a fairly good sized amp. I couldn't tell you which, cause I don't know. However, we started to get real loud, so naturally I turned up, and I ended up maxing up the volumes on my bass and the amp, but everything started to get very distorted.

What are some things I can do to combat this kinda distortion when we get to really high volumes? IS there anything I can do?

edit: Oh dear I totally meant to post this in Amps. Sorry, can someone move this?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Moved.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you're cranking both the bass and the amp, you can: (1) turn down until it stops distorting; (2) use a limiter to increase your average signal output without exceeding the level where the amp clips; (3) get a more powerful amp; or (4) ask the other guys to turn down their danged gui**** amps.

4. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    amps can only go so loud before you start distorting them. Was it a combo amp? Combat this problem by getting a more powerful amp, or try turning down the lows, and boosting mids a little.