Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crap! B2R hissing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex, Feb 19, 2006.

1. I was at the Bass Club yesterday trying out 12's when the cabs started to let out a slight hiss. It wasn't the tweeters, because I had all of them turned off, and it wasn't my bass because even with my bass unplugged it hissed. Mark said that those cabs had never hissed before, so I figured that it was my head. I went home and tried it on my cab, and there it was again, a slight hiss. I'm convinced that it's my B2R. What could've happened? How can I fix this? :help:

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Try using a different bass, instrument cable and power cable. If the hiss still exists, it's your head. If the his is gone, swap back in the items above one at a time and then you will know the culprit...

3. It still does it w/o the bass, so it isn't the bass, and I have already used 2 different power strips and instrument cables.

What could be wrong with the B2R?

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My Ampeg BA115 did the same thing exactly one week after I bought it. I returned it. IMHO, B series equals crap.

5. you think that I can get a refund? It's about 2 yrs old.

6. Well I can' treally find my warranty info :meh: so does anyone else know what I could do about fixing/returning/replacing it?

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    All you need is the receipt, or copy of it.

You *might* be able to get a copy from the store....... depending on what store it is.....

If all else fails, talk to service on the 800#, they may be able to do something for you as far as verifying the warranty.

Jim Moon is the service manager.

About the noise, you said a "slight" hiss. That can come from EQ settings, if the high end gets boosted.

You sure that isn't it?

Typically problems that cause hiss would cause a LOUD hiss.

8. I actually have the high end cut and the tweeter off, so it's safe to say that it's not the setting that it's on.

As far as the volume of the hiss, it is a little bit louder than the loud fan on the B2R with the -15dB pad on, but really loud with the pad off.

9. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Yeah, how loud is the hiss? My B2R hisses when I turn the highs up on the EQ (either the 3-band or the graphic 9-band) but it isn't noticeable when I'm playing or if I turn the highs down a bit.

10. I have my tweeter off all the way and my treble cut to about 10:00 and there is still hiss. It's true that when I add more treble the hiss gets louder, but it really shouldn't be hissing at the levels I have it at right now. Also, it has never done this in 2 years, so something is definitely wrong.

11. I got it at a GC. I think I'm listed in their computer thing because I buy a lot of stuff there. Think they'll have the purchase listed in their computers?

12. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    They should be able to look up your purchase as long as it wasn't made with cash. If you used a credit card it'll be easist and if you used a check they should (keyword: should) be able to use your drivers lisense number and look up your payment. If it was paid for in cash theres really no way they can look it up.

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Might as well get it fixed. Ampeg has a killer warranty and with your receipt you should be all set.

14. Think that I could just get a refund? I'd like to replace it with a different head.

15. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    After two years I doubt Guitar Center will refund you your money. They will take it in on trade though I'm sure and put the trade in money towards a new purchase. If you can, get it fixed by Ampeg before you trade it in, that way you get more on the trade in itself.

16. Once I had problems w/ a Gk combo and they gave me a refund after a year's use. Maybe that is a differnt case?

I'll find out when I go there saturday, anyway. Speculating isn't going to help.

17. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm just going off of general retail policies. I've worked plenty of different retail jobs and a refund after that much doesn't normally fly. Thats pretty cool though that GC gave you a refund after a year of use on a Gk combo amp. Maybe they will refund/trade your Ampeg.

What are you planning upgrading to, just out of curiosity?

18. Maybe like aone of the Eden WT amps or GK RB series. Not really sure. I gotta get out and try stuff!

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd recommend not going on a Saturday...GC is usually busy that day and you're less likely to get much continuous service...

Good luck though!

Which GC? Arlington Heights, the one on Roosevelt or the store on Cicero?